“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerDiane

Wedding, receptions, parties, conferences and other celebrations and social group events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Nikodian1
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Diane

Postby Nikodian1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:54 am

My brother asked me to take some photo's at his wedding, I was so nervous. I know I have a long way to go in my photography skills.
After this experience I don't think I will be a wedding follower!
Attachments
018-2.jpg
018-2.jpg (410.59 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Jenny

Critique & comments welcome, Love to learn. :photo:

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Diane

Postby Onslow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:04 am

A great shot Jenny. :) Weddings are not for the faint of heart at all. The vehicle shots like you have captured here are ones that I dread. You have done well. :)

Nikodian1
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Nikodian1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:28 am

Thanks John. It is my favourite, I think I need to go back and edit out the interior car light.
Jenny

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:34 am

Nikodian1 wrote:Thanks John. It is my favourite, I think I need to go back and edit out the interior car light.

Actually Jenny, for me the interior light isn't an issue at all. It gives a little puddle of warm light in the interior. Perhaps though consider reducing either / or the exposure, highlights or whites sliders a little bit. Not much at all, just enough to lower the overall brightness of Dianes face and dress. Perhaps even in combination. Only a small amount though as I say.

Nikodian1
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Nikodian1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks John. I will do this, as I would like to have it printed for Diane.
Jenny

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Diane!

First of all, let me tell you why your image is GREAT! It’s a fine shot because it is indicative of the wedding photographer’s basic job and that is to create a storytelling body of professional caliber photography and hopefully it will be accompanied by an artistic interpretation, emotional impact and memorable imagery! Every image does not need to be a formal portrait, however, a good and well practiced wedding shooter knows how to gun and run and still come up with good clean exposures, good lighting and composition. In “real life” after the “car shots” of the bride arriving at the church or other venue, you have to fly up the steps, catch another shot or sequence of her with whoever is “giving her away”, dart up to the front of the church and perhaps grab an shot of the groom and his best man waiting at the top of the aisle or in an anteroom or sacristy and the be in place for the procession! There is no time to muss and fuss or pause to turn off the interior lights in the car- cars do normally have interior lights and there is no reason to eliminate them unless they are “sticking out of someone’s ear”!

So…why do I love your shot? The bride’s expression is to die for! She is happy on her wedding day- that’s an important statement! In an album- a shot of the groom waiting in the church on the opposite page in the direction she is facing would be a killer combination! Theses are little simple things that work! Your framing in the car window is nice and it’s shape gives the image a bit of animation- the brides look like she is gonna burst out of that car and fully enjoy her day!

Most folks who try their hand at wedding photography for the first time, not as the hired official photographer but as a casual shooter, oftentimes pick up the almost insane pace and vibe of the work and are kinda frightened away from even the though of becoming a professional wedding photographer. As George Gershwin wrote in a song “It Ain't Necessarily So”, that is, once you know what you are doing. There are different and diverse disciplines to master; they require study, patience, practice, apprenticeship (if possible) and stick-to-itiveness- just like any other trade, skill or profession. If one watches their business Ps and Qs it can be quite a lucrative business as well!

Some folks like to say that photography is not “rocket science” and I disagree with that connotation; implying that its easy stuff and the money gained is easy pickings! For folks who do not have the raw talent, the creativity and what some of us call the “eye”; learning photography can be more difficult than higher mathematics and physics. Wedding photography also requires what I like to call “heart” and in some folks- well, sadly enough it just ain’t there.

So…as for all the wedding Scaredy Cats… hang around and you might change your minds and have fun here in Wedding Land! For those who aspire to a career in wedding work or are already involved please contribute- ask questions and participate here and let the good times roll!

Ed :thumbup:

Nikodian1
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Nikodian1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:41 am

Ed Shapiro wrote:Hi Diane!

First of all, let me tell you why your image is GREAT! It’s a fine shot because it is indicative of the wedding photographer’s basic job and that is to create a storytelling body of professional caliber photography and hopefully it will be accompanied by an artistic interpretation, emotional impact and memorable imagery! Every image does not need to be a formal portrait, however, a good and well practiced wedding shooter knows how to gun and run and still come up with good clean exposures, good lighting and composition. In “real life” after the “car shots” of the bride arriving at the church or other venue, you have to fly up the steps, catch another shot or sequence of her with whoever is “giving her away”, dart up to the front of the church and perhaps grab an shot of the groom and his best man waiting at the top of the aisle or in an anteroom or sacristy and the be in place for the procession! There is no time to muss and fuss or pause to turn off the interior lights in the car- cars do normally have interior lights and there is no reason to eliminate them unless they are “sticking out of someone’s ear”!

So…why do I love your shot? The bride’s expression is to die for! She is happy on her wedding day- that’s an important statement! In an album- a shot of the groom waiting in the church on the opposite page in the direction she is facing would be a killer combination! Theses are little simple things that work! Your framing in the car window is nice and it’s shape gives the image a bit of animation- the brides look like she is gonna burst out of that car and fully enjoy her day!

Most folks who try their hand at wedding photography for the first time, not as the hired official photographer but as a casual shooter, oftentimes pick up the almost insane pace and vibe of the work and are kinda frightened away from even the though of becoming a professional wedding photographer. As George Gershwin wrote in a song “It Ain't Necessarily So”, that is, once you know what you are doing. There are different and diverse disciplines to master; they require study, patience, practice, apprenticeship (if possible) and stick-to-itiveness- just like any other trade, skill or profession. If one watches their business Ps and Qs it can be quite a lucrative business as well!

Some folks like to say that photography is not “rocket science” and I disagree with that connotation; implying that its easy stuff and the money gained is easy pickings! For folks who do not have the raw talent, the creativity and what some of us call the “eye”; learning photography can be more difficult than higher mathematics and physics. Wedding photography also requires what I like to call “heart” and in some folks- well, sadly enough it just ain’t there.

So…as for all the wedding Scaredy Cats… hang around and you might change your minds and have fun here in Wedding Land! For those who aspire to a career in wedding work or are already involved please contribute- ask questions and participate here and let the good times roll!

Ed :thumbup:

Wow! thankyou Ed.
I think I found the whole experience more overwhelming than stressful, I was so worried I was going to mess up, but I didn't! I was happy with most of my images and the bride & Groom loved them.
Being emotionally attached to the wedding party certainly didn't help!
I learnt some valuable lessons and hopefully will improve as I gain more experience.
Please feel free to offer as much advise with any of my images that I post. 'I'm planning on posting regularly and asking lots of advise along the way.
I'm going to go back and make a few tweak's , as suggested by John and I will repost the image hopefully next week.
I'm in Adelaide tomorrow for a few days, unfortunately not for pleasure, but I'm going to try my hand at Street Photography, which will be a new for me.
Jenny

Return to “Weddings & Group Events”