“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerMore from Brother's Wedding

Wedding, receptions, parties, conferences and other celebrations and social group events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

More from Brother's Wedding

Postby TomCofer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:55 pm

My brother asked me to take photos at his wedding. I wasn't the primary photographer, a friend of the bride's was. I did not meet the photographer until shortly before the actual ceremony.

Having experienced first hand how distracting and disruptive well intending friends and family members can be to a photographer, my primary goal was to get what shots I could without being one of those annoying guests. Here's some of the shots that I did get.

Church before the event

The engagement ring was not available to me, but tried a macro ring shot of what was:

The photographer and bride were getting some shots in the church while the groom was occupied outside. When the door behind me opened, they feared that he was coming in:
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: More from Brother's Wedding

Postby TomCofer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:01 am

The lighting in the church was an odd mix. I think it was a combination of Halogen and florescent. I just could not nail down a good white balance. Nothing I came up with in post seemed quite right. :)

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:17 am

Good captures Tom. I particularly like the symmetry of the first image. Re the white balance, it can be hard when there is mixed lighting like that. Were you able to use a grey card as a starting point or use some other reference?

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:34 am

Onslow wrote:Good captures Tom. I particularly like the symmetry of the first image. Re the white balance, it can be hard when there is mixed lighting like that. Were you able to use a grey card as a starting point or use some other reference?

Thanks.
I really thought I had it down. I took shots of my daughter in various locations in the church prior to the wedding with her holding a small grey card. I do not know if they changed the lighting between then and the wedding or just what was causing the problem. The lighting seemed to vary between their heads and their bodies (spotlights??) and was different between the on the minister, the couple, and the wedding party.

If I adjusted to make the dress look right, the faces and skin would look terrible and vice-versa. I don't know, maybe I was missing something, but I just could not find something I was happy with. I've had problems before in churches with stained glass, but it was dark outside here.

thcofer@charter.net

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:42 am

If you look at the floor in the shot where the bride is kissing his hand, you can see that shadows are being cast in various directions.

thcofer@charter.net

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Onslow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:09 am

When you have stained glass windows adding to the colour mix, it makes it even harder I have found.
One wedding I assisted at had stained glass all the way around so the effect was noticeable. Added to it was (like your situation) a mixture of flouro and tungsten lights. All I managed was a custom camera profile using the x-rite color checker passport and a quick wb check with it as well. From there it was slightly easier. The thing to remember though is that even if the dress is white, under the stained glass it won't be, so, hopefully we can get close to what it actually looked like in the church.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:21 am

Onslow wrote:When you have stained glass windows adding to the colour mix, it makes it even harder I have found.
One wedding I assisted at had stained glass all the way around so the effect was noticeable. Added to it was (like your situation) a mixture of flouro and tungsten lights. All I managed was a custom camera profile using the x-rite color checker passport and a quick wb check with it as well. From there it was slightly easier. The thing to remember though is that even if the dress is white, under the stained glass it won't be, so, hopefully we can get close to what it actually looked like in the church.

Thanks.
I was kinda limited to my gray card (too poor to get the color checker ). I suspect that I was probably trying to get the dress "white" too hard. It was coming out with a green cast when I was using the gray card settings. Wonder if maybe the fluorescent lights was shining more on the dress area? It was an interesting bit of a puzzle. Almost gave up and went B&W on 'em all. :D

thcofer@charter.net

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Onslow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:37 am

One thing I have been doing for a while is to try and remember the relative intensities of clothing. Various whites and other colours in ceremonies etc. By this I mean that white has many tones and looks. I try to figure out if it is a hard, soft, off white etc and try to recall the relative looks between the clothes that people wear.
The 2nd last image in particular looks a touch cold to me. Perhaps a little bit warmer with just a slight touch more tint to the magenta end.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:48 am

Onslow wrote:One thing I have been doing for a while is to try and remember the relative intensities of clothing. Various whites and other colours in ceremonies etc. By this I mean that white has many tones and looks. I try to figure out if it is a hard, soft, off white etc and try to recall the relative looks between the clothes that people wear.
The 2nd last image in particular looks a touch cold to me. Perhaps a little bit warmer with just a slight touch more tint to the magenta end.

Thanks.
I think you are right about that photo.
The lighting where they were doing the candle lighting was warmer than the light when they were in front of the minister. There was a spot light on the candles. If I recall correctly, there really was a bit of a blue/green cast to her dress when she was in front of the minister from whatever source. If I get to it, I'll try making the adjustments you suggested. Greatly appreciated.

thcofer@charter.net

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby tsilva » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:04 am

While I find this video to be unrealistic about so many things, I do feel he gives a good explanation about the lighting issues that can be encountered in a church venue. I don't know if his "solutions" would work in your case, but it should help you to be aware of the different lighting you faced. Hope it helps - (?)

http://youtu.be/PRNJbG5BTS0

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

Return to “Weddings & Group Events”