“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerI don't get it

Wedding, receptions, parties, conferences and other celebrations and social group events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

I don't get it

Postby TomCofer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:35 am

I thought I took better shots of the various reception decorations, but this appears to be the bride's favorite. I don't see whatever it is that she does. :?:

Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: I don't get it

Postby Onslow » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:59 am

Neither do I. There's no accounting for what people will select as their favourite from a session is there. :)

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Bobby Deal » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:55 pm

All she sees is the names and date

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:All she sees is the names and date

You're probably right Bobby.
My guess is that since they had the candle glassed specially printed, photos of them are important to her. What I saw is that the glass isn't quite straight, the lettering should have been facing the camera more directly, and it could have been framed differently. Besides the names and the date, it really isn't that interesting as far as decorations go either. I guess the important thing is that it made the bride, my new sister-in-law happy.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

EJones
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby EJones » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Now I do see why she would like this :) It's not only about the names and the date but it's a reflection of her (and/or them as a couple). The amount of time and thought that went into the decoration and the glass. The colors, most likely her favorite. The ribbon & lace do frame the glass kind of setting it apart. Only thing I'd do would be to try and straighten the glass. I think the glasses angle to the camera is fine and looks better this way than if the writing were point square into the lens.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:52 pm

EJones wrote:Now I do see why she would like this :) It's not only about the names and the date but it's a reflection of her (and/or them as a couple). The amount of time and thought that went into the decoration and the glass. The colors, most likely her favorite. The ribbon & lace do frame the glass kind of setting it apart. Only thing I'd do would be to try and straighten the glass. I think the glasses angle to the camera is fine and looks better this way than if the writing were point square into the lens.

Thanks. :)

thcofer@charter.net

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:57 am

Wedding photography is a very specialized profession; not only from a technical and artistic point of view but especially because of the emotional nature of the occasion, the job itself and how wedding couples respond to your coverage and individual pictures. When I said “emotional” I meant more than just the typical flow of tears and outbursts of laughter that is typical at most weddings. There is, however, an infinite spectrum of emotions stemming from everything from ecstatic love to, believe it or not, virulent hatred. In over half a century of shooting weddings, I can tell you that most weddings go down beautifully, smoothly, lovingly and without a hitch. Along the way, sadly enough, I have covered a few that did not go too well, to say the least. Many of theses negative occurrences were rooted in long standing family issues that remained dormant for allot of years but reared their ugly heads at wedding celebrations where, as I have alluded to, emotions can run high- even the bad ones. Sometimes it is not all that bad but if one is sensitive one can detect negative undercurrents or bad vibes happening and as photographers we learn to work around theses things.

Thus far, this post may seem off topic or irrelevant to the Tom’s original question so let me explain.

Most wedding clients are not aficionados of fine photography so when selection time comes around many of them are responding emotionally, not artistically or technically to the images. This applies to formal portraits, candid action shots and detail images of the gown, the décor and everything else you have photographed during the event.

So here’s the thing! In Tom’s detail shot of the glasses, the couple’s connection may be that the items were a gift received from a treasured friend or relative. Perhaps just the fact that their names are engraved on the glasses is what appealed to them, the image reminds them of a special part of the wedding day or they are simply proud of that particular piece of their wedding décor that they selected. Fact is they are not judging the image on the basis of a fine still life image.

This is a common problem when folks are choosing their “keepers”! I have seen folks choose the worst image of a particular sequence of proofs- the just like it for whatever reason. I remember a bride selecting a photograph that was totally flared out by stray light because she found it “romantic”! I would have no big problems with it as an 8x10 or album size print but she wanted it in a 24x30 on canvas. How about the time when a bride complained that I cropped a print too tightly and thereby cut off her uncle’s nose- only his nose was showing in a candid action shot. I made another print with the nose at the edge of the frame and she was delighted! Then there was a bride who rejected a great (award winning) candid action shot because her (nasty) Aunt Tilley was far off in the background- thank goodness for PhotoShop and the clone tool! I always try to cull any “bad” shots before viewing time but if any of them fall though the cracks and somehow get through, I can bet it will be their all time favorite- Murphy’s Law oftentimes prevails.

I remember shooting some of the best ceremony shots I ever did at a wedding in my entire life. The couple rejected all of them because they were atheists and only got married in a church to please their parents! You never know!

Ed :|

Return to “Weddings & Group Events”