“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerMoney dance

Wedding, receptions, parties, conferences and other celebrations and social group events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Money dance

Postby cyclohexane » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:58 am

Normally, I feel like the money dance tradition makes for some pretty lousy images. Guests come up with little wadded up bills and they jam them into the pockets of the groom and a little pouch that the bride's got on her wrist or something. It looks fine on video but often no one has any idea what's going on in the still photographs.

Last weekend, most of the wedding guests pined a bunch of bills together into hats and leis and drapped them all over the bride and groom. Much more visually interesting. They also pinned extra bills and IOU notes all over the bride and groom.

If I'm ever involved in the planning of the wedding (not often enough), I'm going to suggest that everyone does the money dance this way.

Here's the bride losing her hat as her father tries to help out.

150718_JEWNOE_1457 1.jpg

Lens used was the 35mm f/2.0 Summicron-M ASPH, and I've got a Joe Demb adjustable bounce card attached to my on-camera flash.

I originally cropped this tighter, but I liked the image better with a little more of the reception venue visible and the DJ's Arri 150 light spilling in from the left side. Ideally, I probably would have been a step or two to my right so I could frame the bride and her father closer to light coming in from the left.
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Money dance

Postby Duck » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 am

Interestingly enough, many years ago my ex-wife and I were wedding DJs. As such I would never have thought about the visual presentation aspect of this custom. Cake cutting, garter, bouquet... yep, those were standard "Kodak" moments. Dollar dance, not so much. You do have a point though. I love it. You should suggest it during the pre-wedding consultations.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Money dance

Postby cyclohexane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:41 am

Just need to wait for the next pre-wedding consultation though. 8):
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Return to “Weddings & Group Events”