“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerChurch Ceremony

Wedding, receptions, parties, conferences and other celebrations and social group events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Church Ceremony

Postby cyclohexane » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:39 am

Here's an image from the ceremony last weekend. Catholic wedding at the Mission in Carmel-by-the-Sea. If I remember correctly, the bridge and groom are reacting to something funny the priest said during the homily.

I'm sitting against the corner of the first pew just inside of the aisle. This church was more relaxed about photography and videography than the others I've been in; we were allowed to be just about anywhere out of the sanctuary as long as we weren't moving around a ton during the ceremony.

I'm more used to being glued to the back or side of the church, but this was a very small building with no side or overhead access.

150718_JEWNOE_0696.jpg

Not too happy with where the stone trim/door frame behind the bride ended up, but I couldn't exactly move much.

Lens is a vintage 13.5cm f/3.5 Nikkor-Q in Leica screwmount.
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Church Ceremony

Postby Onslow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:36 am

Michael, for me, this is a lovely informal capture of a moment in time. One thing I do like is that the "thing"on the wall to the left of the groom in the image is level even though the other verticals aren't. For me, this helps to fool the eye into thinking that this is in fact level.
The expressions on both as well as the general wb are really good as well.
Well done. :)

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby cyclohexane » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks for looking!

I wasn't oriented level to most of the things in the frame; was kind of "fun" leveling image over and over again until I found something that worked okay.
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 am

I give you (and anyone working a wedding) mad props for putting yourself out there. I played around with a camera at a friend's wedding and I can say without doubt i will never do weddings. So kudos to you. Other events, like corporate functions, I don't mind.

As many know, being a great wedding photographer is placing yourself in the right place at the right time. That only comes with experience. But, as you pointed out, you sometimes don't have that luxury. At that point it becomes a matter of getting what becomes available and hope the subject gives you something good. In this case it is a winning smile during a candid moment. Aside from the flaws you pointed out I really like this image. It's uncluttered, emotive and captures a moment that is forever frozen in time. You can't ask for anything else because, in reality, the alternative is not having the shot.

While I see John's point about the wall mounted pedestal I think that's an optical illusion and (to me) the doorway should be the straight line. I also feel the cropping could be tighter on the couple. I'm not sure if you've had to crop this already so that's a technical call on your end.

I took the liberty of straightening and cropping to illustrate my point. Let me know what you think.

Just my two bits.

Cyclohexane church ceremony.jpg
reworked image
Cyclohexane church ceremony.jpg (178.24 KiB) Viewed 644 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby cyclohexane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:36 am

Duck wrote:While I see John's point about the wall mounted pedestal I think that's an optical illusion and (to me) the doorway should be the straight line. I also feel the cropping could be tighter on the couple. I'm not sure if you've had to crop this already so that's a technical call on your end.

I took the liberty of straightening and cropping to illustrate my point. Let me know what you think.

Cyclohexane church ceremony.jpg

Thanks for taking the time, Duck. :)

I like your crop too.

I was 50/50 on leaving the chair on the left coming into the frame. Luckily, I don't have to decide just yet... 8):
-Michael

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:05 am

Another nice capture of the emotions. I think I like Duck's edit a bit better.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Return to “Weddings & Group Events”