“If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.” ―Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerGetting Ready

Wedding, receptions, parties, conferences and other celebrations and social group events.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Getting Ready

Postby cyclohexane » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:42 am

Here's a recent bride having the finish touches applied to her make-up.

This venue featured these tiny, dim cabins so the makeup artist had the girls outside/in the doorway for most of the hair and makeup; we had them move outside completely to snap a few photos as they wrapped up.

I'm shooting through some greenery left out on a table, leftover from some DIY floral work, but it was too close to the lens, and with this limited depth of field the effect didn't come across quite right here. I'm not a huge fan of shooting through greenery like this, and think its a bit overdone lately (the same photographers who do this excessively also push up really close with their same 35mm f/1.4L Canon lens, distorting everyone's features), but that's a whole 'nother discussion... if Ed endorses this technique, I'd better do it sometimes. 8):

150822_RACH_0135.jpg

Shot with Leica M Typ 240 and 75 f/1.4 Summilux-M.
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Getting Ready

Postby TomCofer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 am

I like it
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Ed Shapiro » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Nice Grab!

A cool candid shot with neat kinda portrait quality- nice back/rim lighting on the bride's profile, awesome “bokeh” and a good atmosphere shot to show the mood of an out-of-door wedding. Perfect expressions! Right lens choice too.

Ed :thumbup:

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby cyclohexane » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for looking, guys. :)
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Return to “Weddings & Group Events”