Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression Critique'Waitin' on Forrest Gump' (Composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Waitin' on Forrest Gump' (Composite)

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:55 pm

This is another day to night composite of Marshall Point Lighthouse located at Port Clyde, ME. The original image was taken in the late morning hours with Minnie & her husband Gene, in the foreground. I decided to make this into a composite by removing the distracting people, adding a different sky loaded with stars and of course a B&W conversion. I also enhances the light some by brightening, adding a glow to the light itself. As always, I'm sorta in doubt of believability. Does the overall scene pass for a night time shot? I'm posting the original for everyone to judge for themselves. Thanks in advance.

The title 'Waitin' on Forrest Gump' is because Marshall Point Lighthouse was featured in motion picture "Forrest Gump". This was the lighthouse he ran to, hence the night conversion to simulate there has been a long wait for Forrest ... so far. Hope my descriptions makes more sense to you than me, LOL !!!
Attachments
DEC_2661w.jpg
Original Image
Waitin' on 'Forest Gump' DEC_2661w.jpg
'Watin' on Forrest Gump'
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Holy cow, I'm loving the second version. I think you lost too much of the bench but I'm really digging the look of this one!
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Not real sure how to explain this but here goes..I do like the image for sure...for me yes for a composite in answer your question..I tend to lean with Duck on more detail brought out in the scene..as is, as dark as it is it's harder to believe the light cast on this side (the back side) of forrest and gump (lol)...with more detail of the surroundings brought out I find the light direction not confusing what my brain thinks ought to be there....as always take away what you will from my ramblings..sometimes taking nothing away works well

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am

davechinn wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:55 pm
This is another day to night composite of Marshall Point Lighthouse located at Port Clyde, ME. The original image was taken in the late morning hours with Minnie & her husband Gene, in the foreground. I decided to make this into a composite by removing the distracting people, adding a different sky loaded with stars and of course a B&W conversion. I also enhances the light some by brightening, adding a glow to the light itself. As always, I'm sorta in doubt of believability. Does the overall scene pass for a night time shot? I'm posting the original for everyone to judge for themselves. Thanks in advance.

The title 'Waitin' on Forrest Gump' is because Marshall Point Lighthouse was featured in motion picture "Forrest Gump". This was the lighthouse he ran to, hence the night conversion to simulate there has been a long wait for Forrest ... so far. Hope my descriptions makes more sense to you than me, LOL !!!
Yeah, we were waiting on him! Love what you did with the light and the stars, that's awesome. Didn't Sharon take some of you as Forrest Gump? Are you gonna do one of those? You are more interesting than we are! I can't wait to see that one!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 am

Duck wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:42 pm
Holy cow, I'm loving the second version. I think you lost too much of the bench but I'm really digging the look of this one!

Glad this strikes your interest Duck. I agree and I needed a confirmation of my own suspicions. As always, a work in progress will never have a completion. :thanks:

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm
Not real sure how to explain this but here goes..I do like the image for sure...for me yes for a composite in answer your question..I tend to lean with Duck on more detail brought out in the scene..as is, as dark as it is it's harder to believe the light cast on this side (the back side) of forrest and gump (lol)...with more detail of the surroundings brought out I find the light direction not confusing what my brain thinks ought to be there....as always take away what you will from my ramblings..sometimes taking nothing away works well

Frank your explanation is as good as it gets ... I suppose. Seems to be understandable, the directional lighting is rather off and I wasn't quite sure of how to make a correction. My thoughts were to add a moon that would maybe help with the overall lighting. Back to the drawing board !!! 8): :thanks:

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:31 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am
davechinn wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Yeah, we were waiting on him! Love what you did with the light and the stars, that's awesome. Didn't Sharon take some of you as Forrest Gump? Are you gonna do one of those? You are more interesting than we are! I can't wait to see that one!

Actually this was a spur of the moment decision for a day to night composite. I love doing this type of work and just couldn't pass it up. I just hope one day I can have improvements with less work in progress.

Sharon did take some and I haven't viewed them fully to make a decision on which direction to go, but hopefully something will be in he works down the road. I appreciate your thoughts, once I take the time

to make some corrections, I will repost. As far as me being more interesting? Well that's subjective for sure. I actually thought this image of you and Gene was a unique capture that may have many untold personal private stories. :D

David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm

love the mood and composition - missing bench does not bug me at all (I thought they were walking for instance). I would like to see the lighthouse recede further into the distance, but am not sure how to accomplish that. Regarding the lighting, perhaps add another light source that matches where the sun was (like a street lamp - but that might not fit in this scene). Anyway, want to let you know that I like this scene very much.