Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression Critique'Monhegan Lighthouse' (day to night composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Monhegan Lighthouse' (day to night composite)

Post by davechinn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 pm

With a variety of images of this lighthouse, I was not able to capture a night image to my satisfaction. Here is my attempt at making my own night image from a day image. I added a sky with stars, a light ray taken the same lighthouse but from a different location and evening. Yes, it's dark out, but is the image too dark for what it's suppose to represent? What are your thoughts? Suggestions are up for grabs !!!
Attachments
Lighthouse composite DEC_2929w.jpg
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:28 pm

love the texture of the stonework and the glass and the mystery of the dark shrubs. In the area that the light is brightening the atmosphere perhaps dull the stars a little. Perhaps stretch a shadow downward on the lighthouse from the stone rim, if it is being lit from the inside. Perhaps even darken it a little more if the lighting is coming from the atmosphere that is lit. But know This - It is Awesome! I love the cool blue of the lit glass and mist. Love the warm stone - it feels like a place of refuge in the cold emptiness. Love that sky behind it.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Piet makes good points....for me it is a touch dark but might be my monitor brightness settings...I keep my brightness at one click to the right of 1/2..when I turn the brightness all the way up I can see the image fine so take that for what it's worth..a very nice composite Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:39 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 pm
With a variety of images of this lighthouse, I was not able to capture a night image to my satisfaction. Here is my attempt at making my own night image from a day image. I added a sky with stars, a light ray taken the same lighthouse but from a different location and evening. Yes, it's dark out, but is the image too dark for what it's suppose to represent? What are your thoughts? Suggestions are up for grabs !!!
Love it Dave. You captured that "lighthouse magic" that is so addicting.

As you know, I had the same disappointment. You did better than I. Your creation gives me some ideas to attempt something of my own.

I do think a bit of delicate dodging in some of the detail below the light (those bushes, perhaps the path) might "ground" it more. Of course all our monitors are different so it may just be me seeing it as a bit dark in that area. Piet's idea about shadows is a good one that I would not have thought of.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:28 pm
love the texture of the stonework and the glass and the mystery of the dark shrubs. In the area that the light is brightening the atmosphere perhaps dull the stars a little. Perhaps stretch a shadow downward on the lighthouse from the stone rim, if it is being lit from the inside. Perhaps even darken it a little more if the lighting is coming from the atmosphere that is lit. But know This - It is Awesome! I love the cool blue of the lit glass and mist. Love the warm stone - it feels like a place of refuge in the cold emptiness. Love that sky behind it.

Thanks Piet !!! Your suggestions are accurate and I will consider the needed corrections. I thought about adding a shadow downward from the stone rim and will definitely do so. Darker? That's one suggestion I have never received !!! Directional lighting have always been a struggle and once I feel I have improved some, I come across one image composite that sort of smacks me in the face, only to let me know otherwise.

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 pm
Piet makes good points....for me it is a touch dark but might be my monitor brightness settings...I keep my brightness at one click to the right of 1/2..when I turn the brightness all the way up I can see the image fine so take that for what it's worth..a very nice composite Dave

Understandable Frank !!! I suffer from that setting as well. Altho, I tend to think my settings are between the ears rather than the monitor. Thanks for the reminder and comments.

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:39 pm
davechinn wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 pm
Love it Dave. You captured that "lighthouse magic" that is so addicting.

As you know, I had the same disappointment. You did better than I. Your creation gives me some ideas to attempt something of my own.

I do think a bit of delicate dodging in some of the detail below the light (those bushes, perhaps the path) might "ground" it more. Of course all our monitors are different so it may just be me seeing it as a bit dark in that area. Piet's idea about shadows is a good one that I would not have thought of.

Thanks Minnie !!! I wasn't sure about the amount of light rays to add, also the spread was a challenge and needs more work IMO. I was unsure about going too far with lighting the pathway, but now I think more is needed. It can be difficult to determine the proper balance to achieve a realistic scene, but I will continue to work on this one for improvements. Thanks again !!!

David Alan Harvey