Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression Critique'Harley Sportster' (Composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Harley Sportster' (Composite)

Post by davechinn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm

This is an image I caught on the streets of Cincinnati back in 2014. The background was changed with a dramatic, cloudy, but yet a fiery sky. I like the affect, but I'm not sure how much. Maybe more work is needed?

Although I have been absent here much lately, I might add that it may continue on for a little while longer. I'm scheduled for cataract surgery for my left eye tomorrow the 12th and the right eye on August 19th. Just in time to heal for the upcoming Monhegan Island trip. Now all I need repaired is the little pea brain between the ears. :cheers:
Dave
Attachments
Harley Sportster w.jpg
'Harley Sportster' (Composite)
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:44 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm
This is an image I caught on the streets of Cincinnati back in 2014. The background was changed with a dramatic, cloudy, but yet a fiery sky. I like the affect, but I'm not sure how much. Maybe more work is needed?

Although I have been absent here much lately, I might add that it may continue on for a little while longer. I'm scheduled for cataract surgery for my left eye tomorrow the 12th and the right eye on August 19th. Just in time to heal for the upcoming Monhegan Island trip. Now all I need repaired is the little pea brain between the ears. :cheers:
Dave
Now that is a cool image even if it is a little scary. Great detail that's easy to pick out even though it's a dark image, and a nice muted color palette. I might try to tone down the bright effect on the left outline of the face, it looks like a halo but I think it is part of the background.

My eye situation was less helpful that some folks' I've talked to, but no disaster. I ended up not being able to drive for about 6 weeks because I had to add a contact lens on top of the implant to get a decent correction. Hope yours goes perfectly, like the other 99% of the folks I know.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:09 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:44 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Dave
Now that is a cool image even if it is a little scary. Great detail that's easy to pick out even though it's a dark image, and a nice muted color palette. I might try to tone down the bright effect on the left outline of the face, it looks like a halo but I think it is part of the background.

My eye situation was less helpful that some folks' I've talked to, but no disaster. I ended up not being able to drive for about 6 weeks because I had to add a contact lens on top of the implant to get a decent correction. Hope yours goes perfectly, like the other 99% of the folks I know.

Thanks Minnie !!! Actually I was going in the complete opposite direction with this image when I first started. I got sidetracked when I added the dramatic clouds. I see what you mean with his face. I tried toning down some prior to posting, but I'm sure I missed some areas. It probably a little bit of haloing and background. Here is the composite I started out with, but chose to post the other one. I have been at the experimenting table taking a different approach with some older images. I'm not totally confident with the process, but time will tell.

Thanks for the info/encouragement concerning eye surgery. I had all sorts of questions for the doctor after the appointment, so I'm kinda in the dark to know what to expect and it is probably best that I don't know. :look:
Attachments
DEC_3847-Recovered w.jpg

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:13 pm

This one is very nice too. I may even like it better, it’s so original. I like the high key look and textures. Both are winners!

The surgery itself is easy. Just hoping you get good results!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:17 am

Both these renditions are not really a style I would generally pursue for myself but can see the appeal. Specially the darker one as I tend to favor darker, moodier images. I do feel they can use some contrast to let the lighter areas come forward a little more (first image) and to enrich the shades of gray (second image).

As for your eye surgery... My wife is going through similar issues, hence her backing out of joining us. Her surgery is scheduled for Sept 20th. The doctor told her no heavy lifting for a week after the surgery, and a few other things to avoid. I tried using that as the excuse for her coming out with us. After all, being on an island with nothing to do, out in the fresh ocean air... nothing but pure healing there. She didn't buy it. Too afraid of being away from home. I told her to ask her doctor about going and if he clears her she doesn't have an excuse. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 am

Good luck Dave...haven't put on a pair of glasses since I had mine done.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:13 pm
This one is very nice too. I may even like it better, it’s so original. I like the high key look and textures. Both are winners!

The surgery itself is easy. Just hoping you get good results!

Thanks Minnie !!! Te high key low contrast is an experimental phase I'm goin through at the moment.

One eye surgery down with success (for now) and one to go.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:17 am
Both these renditions are not really a style I would generally pursue for myself but can see the appeal. Specially the darker one as I tend to favor darker, moodier images. I do feel they can use some contrast to let the lighter areas come forward a little more (first image) and to enrich the shades of gray (second image).

As for your eye surgery... My wife is going through similar issues, hence her backing out of joining us. Her surgery is scheduled for Sept 20th. The doctor told her no heavy lifting for a week after the surgery, and a few other things to avoid. I tried using that as the excuse for her coming out with us. After all, being on an island with nothing to do, out in the fresh ocean air... nothing but pure healing there. She didn't buy it. Too afraid of being away from home. I told her to ask her doctor about going and if he clears her she doesn't have an excuse. :)
Thanks for commenting Duck, much appreciated. As you know the darker, moodier dramatic images have been my norm, but experimentation seemed to be in order. I agree, contrast is needed, I'm always mixing things up. (Y)

I wish your wife success with her eye surgery. Mine went fairly well, just a little scary for a first timer.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 am
Good luck Dave...haven't put on a pair of glasses since I had mine done.
Thanks Frank !!! Is that your secret for fine vision? Wish mine was as good as yours. :win:
Dave

David Alan Harvey