Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression Critique'Light Keeper' (composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Light Keeper' (composite)

Post by davechinn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:04 pm

This is a simple composite I put together a couple of months ago. It was in my archives forgotten about until I accidentally came across it once again. The lighthouse, taken in 2007, is Asylum Point Lighthouse located in Winnebago County, Wisconsin. The sailor was taken in 2015 at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco, California. I wasn't quite sure where I was going with this composite, other than to create some sort of painting effect. I added several layers consisting of scratches, canvas, and probably some rain. I do believe I added some fog down on the lower left corner where there is a patch of water showing along with a soft focus/diffusion layer. I toned down the saturation to almost no color is visible. This does strike my interest but wondering if there are similar interests in this dabbling mess?
Attachments
Light Keeper DSC_0071w.jpg
'Light Keeper'
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:46 pm

I knew instantly it was a Chinn when I saw it. You know I'm a fan of your work Dave. My personal taste is as follows...the vertical scratches coming down on his right should are a bit strong (at first glance looks almost makes it look like a separate image pasted in). The fog just looks like white blur if that makes sense..not sure how to describe but is almost looks real on his coat because there is some darker and lighter (kinda layered) so If that could be enhanced maybe I'd be more apt to buy it without being told....The white clump middle between him and the lighthouse draws attention. I like the composition, concept and overall image...you asked for some thoughts so I have given you mine..think about what you deem relevant and discard the rest.......Good to see you posting here again..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:04 pm
This is a simple composite I put together a couple of months ago. It was in my archives forgotten about until I accidentally came across it once again. The lighthouse, taken in 2007, is Asylum Point Lighthouse located in Winnebago County, Wisconsin. The sailor was taken in 2015 at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco, California. I wasn't quite sure where I was going with this composite, other than to create some sort of painting effect. I added several layers consisting of scratches, canvas, and probably some rain. I do believe I added some fog down on the lower left corner where there is a patch of water showing along with a soft focus/diffusion layer. I toned down the saturation to almost no color is visible. This does strike my interest but wondering if there are similar interests in this dabbling mess?
I love this one Dave. Of course I am addicted to lighthouses so that prejudices me somewhat. The keeper looks convincing and is nicely integrated into the composite. The heavily textured look is also something that appeals to me. My only quibble is the light area to the left of his head, which I know is part of the background or one of the textures, but might be considered for toning down.

Question: how do you add fog to an image? I am never settled on a method. I have a freebie fog brush that I’m getting better with. I use images I’ve shot with fog as overlays masked in/out. And I use textures masked in/out. And occasionally the Dehaze filter in LR or ACR used in reverse, usually with a brush.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:18 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:46 pm
I knew instantly it was a Chinn when I saw it. You know I'm a fan of your work Dave. My personal taste is as follows...the vertical scratches coming down on his right should are a bit strong (at first glance looks almost makes it look like a separate image pasted in). The fog just looks like white blur if that makes sense..not sure how to describe but is almost looks real on his coat because there is some darker and lighter (kinda layered) so If that could be enhanced maybe I'd be more apt to buy it without being told....The white clump middle between him and the lighthouse draws attention. I like the composition, concept and overall image...you asked for some thoughts so I have given you mine..think about what you deem relevant and discard the rest.......Good to see you posting here again..

Thank you Frank !!! Your vision helps my lack of vision, but we do see things differently ... sometimes. I may have gone overboard in some areas with some of the layers. I'm guilty of that while also getting lost in the process. I may start out with one intention in mind but mid-way, an idea slam dunks me into another direction.

The fog was intended to be ever so subtle and while at most times I have little success with it, I'll keep on making corrections and maybe some day I will have mastered fog. I too like the concept and will continue to make adjustments ... and who knows ... maybe go into a different direction ... AGAIN !!! :wall:
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:42 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:04 pm
I love this one Dave. Of course I am addicted to lighthouses so that prejudices me somewhat. The keeper looks convincing and is nicely integrated into the composite. The heavily textured look is also something that appeals to me. My only quibble is the light area to the left of his head, which I know is part of the background or one of the textures, but might be considered for toning down.

Question: how do you add fog to an image? I am never settled on a method. I have a freebie fog brush that I’m getting better with. I use images I’ve shot with fog as overlays masked in/out. And I use textures masked in/out. And occasionally the Dehaze filter in LR or ACR used in reverse, usually with a brush.

As a lighthouse lover as well, this was the first lighthouse I had a photo of that came to mind because of the wooden walkway/bridge for my subject to be placed. I may search for more to see if another could be more appropriate.

The light you mentioned is from the background and I should make some adjustments.

My lack of ability to adding believable fog needs more practice/work, not only with this one but future ones as well. I have the freebie fog brush and I, like you, have images of fog I use ... sometimes, but I find it becomes difficult to locate in my archives. Time to be/get more organized. Thanks for your thoughts, every bit helps to keep me more focused.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 pm

You'll get another candidate when we travel to Monhegan. The lighthouse at Port Clyde is the one that was in the Forest Gump movie, and has a wonderful walkway right out to the light itself, photogenic from several angles.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:59 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 pm
You'll get another candidate when we travel to Monhegan. The lighthouse at Port Clyde is the one that was in the Forest Gump movie, and has a wonderful walkway right out to the light itself, photogenic from several angles.

Thanks for that info !!! I knew there would be lighthouses, but it never occurred to me that Port Clyde lighthouse was the one in Forest Gump. One of my all time favorite movies. Ever so more excited about this trip. :yay:
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm

A bit off subject here but I recently saw Avenger's Endgame and believe when they go to get Thor it looks to have beenvfilmed in Monhegan...I would swear there is a shot from the docks I recognized from one of minniev's trap loading shots...I have not researched

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm
A bit off subject here but I recently saw Avenger's Endgame and believe when they go to get Thor it looks to have beenvfilmed in Monhegan...I would swear there is a shot from the docks I recognized from one of minniev's trap loading shots...I have not researched

This got me curious so I went to Google (of course)... :)
www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2019/05/02/avengers-fans-new-asgard/ wrote:With the release of the movie Avengers: Endgame, fans’ interest has been sparked in Thor’s new home in the quaint fishing village of New Asgard. While there has been a surge in online flights searching for the Norwegian village, according to travel booking site, Kiwi.com, alas it is actually fictional. Those who wish to check out where it was filmed can head to St Abbs in Scotland and Georgia in the US instead.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:30 pm

The only movie I know of that was filmed on Monhegan was The Congressman. It was actually written/produced by a real congressman from Maine who knew Monhegan well. Many of the citizens of Monhegan are in it (limited pool of extras out there!), and the scenery is so familiar to me that it's distracting, like when they filmed a movie in my hometown when I was in my teens. I've visited some fishing villages in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Scotland, and there are similarities, but Monhegan is more decidedly New England-ish than the others to me.