Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression CritiqueA Spirited Political Discussion in the Library

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Spirited Political Discussion in the Library

Post by minniev » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 pm

This is kinda like the beauty shop, a fantasy fun piece. These things, and my kid composites, are good ways for me to practice various compositing skills. Not sure I'm improving though. All suggestions or edits welcome.
Attachments
dam bird library (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:22 pm

I love it! Aside from being hilarious, it's very well done! I love the egrets in the painting (yours?). I love the footman (footbird?) lurking just outside the door hoping to pick up some gossip to share in the scullery. ("The Master is furious with the minister over the dead fish amendment!") The light all works wonderfully, being very soft so there are few shadows, but one thing I might suggest would be to brush in just some amorphous shadow on the chairs, especially the red one. The sconce above that bird should be casting a thin shadow n the seat cushion. You got a perfect shadow on the fish on the ottoman (don't let the Mrs see that fish on her ottoman!) but the fish in the shell dish down right looks like he's floating, unless he is? Smashingly well done! Toffing aces! Cracking good!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:04 am

Yes... it is all about who gets the fish isn't it. Love the pose of the bird in the red chair.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:22 pm
I love it! Aside from being hilarious, it's very well done! I love the egrets in the painting (yours?). I love the footman (footbird?) lurking just outside the door hoping to pick up some gossip to share in the scullery. ("The Master is furious with the minister over the dead fish amendment!") The light all works wonderfully, being very soft so there are few shadows, but one thing I might suggest would be to brush in just some amorphous shadow on the chairs, especially the red one. The sconce above that bird should be casting a thin shadow n the seat cushion. You got a perfect shadow on the fish on the ottoman (don't let the Mrs see that fish on her ottoman!) but the fish in the shell dish down right looks like he's floating, unless he is? Smashingly well done! Toffing aces! Cracking good!
thanks Chuck, I’m glad you got a kick out of it. I sometimes get pretty silly with these dam bird creations, but they ‘re good practice and fun to do. Love the term footbird, exactly what I meant that one to be, with the servants’ staircase visible behind him. I do need to work on the shadows more, and beat down some of the colors a bit. The birds over the mantel are a Japanese painting from the Rjiks museum which has a wonderful array of images free for use.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones