Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression Critique'Bartender ... I'll Have Another'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Bartender ... I'll Have Another'

Post by davechinn » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 pm

I thought I would post based on Minnie's experimentations with motion blur. This is one I took 3 years ago and thought I would do a little experimenting with motion blur. I'm not totally satisfied with it, but more so than some of the others that I have to rework. This has a combination of motion blur (zoom effect) and soft focus (diffusion) within Topaz Lens Effect.The scratch layer came from Analog Efex Pro 2 from the Nic Collection. Thoughts and opinions ?
Attachments
DEC_4879w.jpg
'Bartender ... I'll Have Another'
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:24 pm

I like the overall effect Dave...this type of image looks like a candidate for you fisheye lens, maybe even with this blur filter in addition...nitpicks are lines around finger and would like to see her right side face lightened ever so slightly.....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 pm
I thought I would post based on Minnie's experimentations with motion blur. This is one I took 3 years ago and thought I would do a little experimenting with motion blur. I'm not totally satisfied with it, but more so than some of the others that I have to rework. This has a combination of motion blur (zoom effect) and soft focus (diffusion) within Topaz Lens Effect.The scratch layer came from Analog Efex Pro 2 from the Nic Collection. Thoughts and opinions ?
This made me smile. The effect matches the subject and the title perfectly! The processing and toning look good to me. I might be tempted to tone down the left side fingers just a touch so they don't steal too much from her very telling look of a tired irritated bartender.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:58 am

There is so much I like about this image. It has a raw, "rock-n-roll" feel to it and can picture it as an album cover or advertising poster for a local metal band. As for the contrast on the face... I like the harder contrast but I get where PSJunkie is going with the comment. In relation to the overall image, the area around the face has a much stronger contrast base than the rest of the image. This leads to an unbalanced feeling with a heavier weight in the upper area. If the facial area was lightened (less contrast) or the hands area was darkened (more contrast) so the two areas matched a little more it might balance out. Just a thought.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.