Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression CritiqueNew Orleans: Dark Lord

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5013
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

New Orleans: Dark Lord

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:22 pm

I've posted this guy before, and so has Dave Chinn. I pulled out an unfinished version or a new composite for him, and worked a bit more on it. It isn't done, but am hoping for suggestions, about any of it - the light, the selections, the blending, etc.
Attachments
darklord.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Absolutely love this Minnie !!! He was good for something, and you found a place for him. I'm not quite sure about the bird on his shoulders. More work is needed and you have already mentioned a work in progress. The other thing that kinda jumps out at me is the dead space above him. Maybe you have some ideas for fill-ins? Looks good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the process as you continue completion. I'm in the process of a couple of composites (not of New Orleans) but I'm at a stand still at the moment. Again, love what you're doing here with the 'Dark Lord'
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:39 pm

love the curtains for his background - good color. The rabbit and claws need to move back (they read too forward). The thing/head floating to the right, not too sure about. The bird... consider turning it around and having it peck at his neck or erring. Moon thing is cool, but might have that recede a little more. Awesome work - he looks very much at home. Also, perhaps bring the curtains all the way down.

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2467
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Rather than be the broken record here I'll add that he needs a bit more separation from the background...this is well conceived minniev, will be watching..

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5013
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:42 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm
Absolutely love this Minnie !!! He was good for something, and you found a place for him. I'm not quite sure about the bird on his shoulders. More work is needed and you have already mentioned a work in progress. The other thing that kinda jumps out at me is the dead space above him. Maybe you have some ideas for fill-ins? Looks good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the process as you continue completion. I'm in the process of a couple of composites (not of New Orleans) but I'm at a stand still at the moment. Again, love what you're doing here with the 'Dark Lord'
Dave
Thanks Dave. I'm not sure about the bird either, I may not be able to keep him. I've had him in and out, and tried to maneuver him with puppet warp, to little avail.

For the dead space my two ideas were to add a moon peeping through the bushes, or to simply bring the characters further up in the frame and crop the whole thing more square.

He was too good a character not to have a dark fantasy image about!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5013
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:45 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:39 pm
love the curtains for his background - good color. The rabbit and claws need to move back (they read too forward). The thing/head floating to the right, not too sure about. The bird... consider turning it around and having it peck at his neck or erring. Moon thing is cool, but might have that recede a little more. Awesome work - he looks very much at home. Also, perhaps bring the curtains all the way down.
I've got some new tricks for blending to try, though I need to study one a bit more (do you use field blur for blending?). Any other ideas? The bird is still in question, I may have to get rid of him. He is so awkward. I've tried messing with him with puppet warp but that hasn't helped any.

I am considering bringing the subject(s) up in the frame to meet the curtains and cropping more to get to a squarish composition.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5013
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm
Rather than be the broken record here I'll add that he needs a bit more separation from the background...this is well conceived minniev, will be watching..
What strategies do you use for separation? I'm still struggling with separation and blending in. I end up going the wrong direction quite often.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2467
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 pm
What strategies do you use for separation?
Quick answer is light and dark, blur and focus.....

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1826
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 pm
What strategies do you use for separation?
Quick answer is light and dark, blur and focus.....
and perhaps add color to the list, vibrant vs bland

and contrast - strong contrast vs weak contrast.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5013
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:13 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 pm
What strategies do you use for separation?
Quick answer is light and dark, blur and focus.....
and perhaps add color to the list, vibrant vs bland

and contrast - strong contrast vs weak contrast.
Thanks! I think contrast is one I need to get better with...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests