Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

― Artistic Expression CritiqueCaught

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Caught

Post by minniev » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm

This is for Matt Quinn. He and I had a pact to continue to try and shoot these wooly webs until we found a way to make them work. We did this for two seasons with neither of us having a satisfactory result. When I spotted this one last trip to the swamp, I thought of Matt. I still didn't have any keepers in the bunch, so I tossed a tree fairy into it and created some webbing over her to hold her there.

Tell me how to make her fit better!
Attachments
fairy.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 am

I'll try and take a better look but at first glance I believe the Fairy is a touch on the dark side......

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 am
I'll try and take a better look but at first glance I believe the Fairy is a touch on the dark side......
I fear you are right, but I had her too light at first. can't find a happy medium for dodge and burn..

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm
This is for Matt Quinn. He and I had a pact to continue to try and shoot these wooly webs until we found a way to make them work. We did this for two seasons with neither of us having a satisfactory result. When I spotted this one last trip to the swamp, I thought of Matt. I still didn't have any keepers in the bunch, so I tossed a tree fairy into it and created some webbing over her to hold her there.

I like the concept Minnie, but my suggestion would be to slightly lower the saturation on the fairy and reduce the opacity on her to show that she is tangled within/behind the web. As it is now, the web is hard to see and I can't distinguish the web very well. That is, assuming that were your intentions.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:51 pm

It's tough to get light where you want it but I'm confident you'll conquer it...Dave makes a good point..

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm

I like the concept Minnie, but my suggestion would be to slightly lower the saturation on the fairy and reduce the opacity on her to show that she is tangled within/behind the web. As it is now, the web is hard to see and I can't distinguish the web very well. That is, assuming that were your intentions.
Dave
Thanks, those are good points that I will try! I can always add more webbing too.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:13 am

Ooh, I love creative challenges. I'll give you an illustrator's perspective...

Once you add the fairy, the main subject will no longer be the web. With that in mind the first consideration is how to place the figure into the scene so it looks like it belongs there. The first thing that sticks out to me is how awkward the pose is in relation to the web. Because of its bulk, I see the web more like a hammock than an ensnaring net. With that descriptor take a look at the pose of the faery. You can picture the legs hanging over the side of the edge of a hammock. Specially with the rather tranquil look on its face, almost contemplative in nature. Additionally, a faery is typically considered to be a creature in tune with nature therefore resting/sleeping in a web hammock isn't too far out of the ordinary.

I would like to see you rework this with the faery larger, more prominent in the scene and that one leg hanging over the edge of the web rather than looking like it's balancing in the web on that foot. Food for thought.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 am

I have mentioned Unmesh Dinda from PixImperfect in other posts. He is an awesome Photoshop instructor and I have learned a lot from watching his tutorials. This video discusses how to blend two separate elements into a cohesive image so they look like both elements belong together. I thought you might get some helpful hints from this. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWefQNcIyY
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 am
I have mentioned Unmesh Dinda from PixImperfect in other posts. He is an awesome Photoshop instructor and I have learned a lot from watching his tutorials. This video discusses how to blend two separate elements into a cohesive image so they look like both elements belong together. I thought you might get some helpful hints from this. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWefQNcIyY
This looks like it'll be helpful with this and other of my dilemmas in bringing disparate elements together especially in terms of color and light.

Thanks so much for the input on the fairy effort. I did worry about the pose. I started with the web and sought a fairy that had some physical form that would fit into the shape. But it is indeed quite awkward. A swing approach might be better. I'm not at all good with puppet warp, which looks like the tool I'll need for altering the forms, but I'll give it a try. If I come up with another version that's halfway acceptable, I'll post it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Here's the new version of the fairy. Started over completely but used the same images. I did keep her webbed up because the webbing is something I wanted to keep, but took Duck's advice on making her bigger in the scene (this worked better with cropping/shrinking the background image since the fairy image is not enlargeable), and placing her differently so that she is hanging one leg out rather jauntily. So she isn't exactly caught but nestled. I redid all the lighting and color using the links from Duck, and some of the ideas from others. I will have to study how to use that field blur that was in the video, I couldn't make it do anything like what he showed and he didn't give many details on it in this particular tutorial. It looks useful. I did not use the color lookup layer but instead used a gradient mask to apply some color grading.
Attachments
fairy (1 of 1).jpg