Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression CritiqueThrough the Window

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Through the Window

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:36 pm

When I come across an abandoned building I always have a look. If the door is locked I find a window I can peep through. What's inside is often pretty boring, but I usually take my shots and think about later. This time I added a toy truck and threw a few inhabitants into the jar on the windowsill. The rest is as found - the ugly couches, the worn rocking horse, the high heel boot, lotion bottle, the fertilizer bag, the shards of broken records. Suggestions appreciated. Especially about all the blending of things.
Attachments
bb2101051-Edit-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm

I really love the lighting here. I am too bashful to go exploring the way that I should, places like this one call to me, but I ignore the call. I remember when I was 10, a friend and I went into a dusty abandoned house and it was empty except for dust and cobwebs and in a lonely corner we found a wig of all things. We pretended it was a scalp, though those days were long gone...

ground the truck more, ambient occlusion at the bottom of the wheels and a darker shadow under, look at just under the rocker for reference, it won't take much.

edit - perhaps lighten the truck bed inside..

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Great find minniev…the animals in the jar are so small they seem insignificant, had you not mentioned I might not have really noticed, they seem blended well enough…the truck seems well done, (maybe some more subtle shadow work, I dunno) but not sure that it’s not taking away from the horse in some way…an engaging image at any rate

Edit: I guess Piet was responding while I was typing

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm
I really love the lighting here. I am too bashful to go exploring the way that I should, places like this one call to me, but I ignore the call. I remember when I was 10, a friend and I went into a dusty abandoned house and it was empty except for dust and cobwebs and in a lonely corner we found a wig of all things. We pretended it was a scalp, though those days were long gone...

ground the truck more, ambient occlusion at the bottom of the wheels and a darker shadow under, look at just under the rocker for reference, it won't take much.

edit - perhaps lighten the truck bed inside..
Thanks Piet. Ya just walk right up there! My photo friend and I have a few excuses if we get caught. Like "I'm pretty sure this is the house my aunt Bertha lived in when I was little" or "Do you know who the realtor is?" and if it is the realtor or owner, you say "GREAT! Can we go inside?"

I'm terrible at shadow work, I cannot figure out how a shadow is supposed to go. I tried to use the shadow from the rocking horse as a guide but as you see it didn't help much. "Ground the truck, ambient occlusion"? Could you translate for me please? Good idea to lighten the inside of the truck bed.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm terrible at shadow work, I cannot figure out how a shadow is supposed to go. I tried to use the shadow from the rocking horse as a guide but as you see it didn't help much. "Ground the truck, ambient occlusion"? Could you translate for me please? Good idea to lighten the inside of the truck bed.
good bluffing - about talking to people... I am Such a Coward!! That is why no street work for me.. LOL

Ambient Occlusion. You see it on the cushion on the floor, on the belt of the horse's saddle. It is where things touch, light can't get into those places, so it goes very dark. In this case, probably just where the truck wheels touch the ground. I tried, but didn't do so good. I tried to lighten the truck overall and lowered the saturation too, but not sure I did too good of a job making it fit better... anyway, here is what I came up with.
min2.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm

So I would just like to know Piet..I noticed the floor first since I was looking at the truck shadow. Opening both images in new tabs and toggling back and forth I find you image has a pinkish or warmer tone(not sure how to describe it) to the whole image...I'm curious if you know why that might be, if it's part of how you tried to blend the truck in better that's fine by all means...just my brain trying to learn things

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 pm

good bluffing - about talking to people... I am Such a Coward!! That is why no street work for me.. LOL

Ambient Occlusion. You see it on the cushion on the floor, on the belt of the horse's saddle. It is where things touch, light can't get into those places, so it goes very dark. In this case, probably just where the truck wheels touch the ground. I tried, but didn't do so good. I tried to lighten the truck overall and lowered the saturation too, but not sure I did too good of a job making it fit better... anyway, here is what I came up with. min2.jpg
Good term that I never heard before but recognize once you explained. Yes, that must be it, or part of it. Thanks for the lesson and demo, I will try it out.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm
So I would just like to know Piet..I noticed the floor first since I was looking at the truck shadow. Opening both images in new tabs and toggling back and forth I find you image has a pinkish or warmer tone(not sure how to describe it) to the whole image...I'm curious if you know why that might be, if it's part of how you tried to blend the truck in better that's fine by all means...just my brain trying to learn things
I only modified the truck - no filters or anything. BUT, because of how my colorspace stuff is set up, I always assign the colorspace (RGB I think in this case). And then when I save the image, I usually export the layer -- Layer>Export As and convert to sRGB and clcik on embed color profile. So probably there was some mild color conversion going on!!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 am

got it thanks..