Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression CritiqueBird in (Minnie's) Hand

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Bird in (Minnie's) Hand

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm

PIet started on his project and reminded me of images I took in Ontario when I met the Bird Whisperer.

So I had to try.

I am not happy with this one, I can't seem to find my path to blending the photo and the background. All advice appreciated.
Attachments
PA110194-Edit-Edit-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm

I love it! What were you feeding it? Just seed? I know that the shot lighting is what it is, but might want to build up more light on the head and less on the tail. I like the background colors - they are MY KIND of colors!! LOL. You are now facing the same problem that I am faced with, how to avoid cutoff at the wrist, or to say another way, how can you move the bird further to the center so that it's head is more left without leaving the hand cropped... Perhaps put a circle frame (or something) around it and then move the thing to the left - I do not know.

I know I like this very much!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm
I love it! What were you feeding it? Just seed? I know that the shot lighting is what it is, but might want to build up more light on the head and less on the tail. I like the background colors - they are MY KIND of colors!! LOL. You are now facing the same problem that I am faced with, how to avoid cutoff at the wrist, or to say another way, how can you move the bird further to the center so that it's head is more left without leaving the hand cropped... Perhaps put a circle frame (or something) around it and then move the thing to the left - I do not know.

I know I like this very much!
Seed chosen by the Bird Whisperer. who knew what each bird liked and had little packets for different appetites. I thought he looked like magic and asked to photograph him, out in the backwood forests of Algonquin NP, and he asked us if we'd like to do the same, so he showed us how. My friend and I took each other's pictures with this magical experience. Of course the shots are what they were, we were far more interested in getting memories and proof because we knew our families wouldn't believe us, than we were in framing.

I have darkened it considerably, so there is light there to work with. It varied from the bright light you see in this image of the Bird Whisperer, to the dull light of an overcast sky by the time we were doing our own feeding.
Attachments
bh (1 of 1).jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Still nice work..you'll get it where you want it if you keep playing with it...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm

so reading yours and Piet's comments I came up with this minniev....might could have done it a little different with all the individual components and really needed a better tree to blend in with your hand. I tried to address your blending concerns and Piet's chopped hand syndrome..not sure how I did
Attachments
PA110194-Edit-Edit-2 copy_psjunkie3 (1).jpg
PA110194-Edit-Edit-2 copy_psjunkie3 (1).jpg (113.62 KiB) Viewed 295 times

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm
so reading yours and Piet's comments I came up with this minniev....might could have done it a little different with all the individual components and really needed a better tree to blend in with your hand. I tried to address your blending concerns and Piet's chopped hand syndrome..not sure how I did
Very nice. I like the hand that is organically part of a tree. I also like the flip and other modifications of light, etc. Thanks for the edit!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Good I hope it spurs some ideas for you as that was my intent.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Here's a version I did before Frank came up with the cool tree/hand combo. I gotta do that tree thing next.
Attachments
bird3x.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 pm

And here's a different bird, this one in my friend's hand, done high key instead of dark.

Here I know there is some trouble where I tried to create a little shadowing behind the head to separate him from the background. I need advice there...
Attachments
birds (1 of 1) copy.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm

I love the composition of the last one - the subject has become the seed and the ring and the bracelet and sleeve (due to it's beautiful green). I don't know if expanding the canvas a little for more space for the bird is worthwhile or not (he seems just a little cramped). I don't think the bird needs any darkness behind him, just let his white blend in with the whitish yellow - it is OK for that line to disappear. This image is fascinating in that there is No cut-off-hand syndrome at all. The image completely works.

Perhaps let the thumb area of the hand blend in more with the background. Perhaps emphasize the ring and the seed just a little bit more. The story is the friendship and the trust and is Godly beautiful. Perhaps ease up a little on the dark corners (the contrast pulls the eye away from center) and let it be a more pure high-key.

This image is better than print-worthy. For me, I mark this as my favorite image seen of 2019. A lot of months to go, but I have a feeling it will remain my favorite!