Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression Critiquethe Ranger

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

the Ranger

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:42 am

like I sometimes do, took a pic of one of my models - but this time tried "overpainting" the image with a mixer brush attempting to capture the look of a painting.
ranger.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 am

I pretty much like everything except the pink...just doesn't seem to fit the mood

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:25 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:42 am
like I sometimes do, took a pic of one of my models - but this time tried "overpainting" the image with a mixer brush attempting to capture the look of a painting. ranger.jpg
A nice one, Piet. I have to learn how to use this mixer brush thing, it looks promising. You need to tell me what type of brush works best with it.

Like Frank, I'm not crazy about the color palette, I have got used to your burnished coppery palette for these characters perhaps, and expect to see it. I'll look again tomorrow and see if it's still too tame for my eye.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Cool Piet !!! I'm under the assumption that this is a work in progress? I'm expecting more with your usual color palette. Altho, the background light feathering across his face and chest is quite pleasing.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:59 pm

thanks guys - yeah, still work in progress, am thinking about the colors. Points taken about the pinks and coppers so far.

I took a 12 dollar Udemy class (around 3 or 4 hours) called Digital Pet Paintings Using Photoshop by Lori Jill and attempted to apply those techniques to the image. I didn't care for what she was doing artistically and had a couple of issues with how she handled fringing, but if you look past some of those kinds of things and not be too irritated, the course was Fantastic to learn about how brushes work, and how the mixer brushes in particular work. Highly recommended!!

Here is where I started... I am going to find a suitable spider to add and work on coloring him if I can figure a proper palette. Going from the beginning to what I presented only took me 20 minutes or so - so I am really enjoying the workflow and the results it gives.

I am pretty partial to my copper looks - mostly I think because I use similar textures all the time that have those colors in them - I will need to Grow Out of that and broaden my horizons!
ranger0.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Didn't realize they had bagged food back then..looking forward to the progression

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:58 pm

here is a stab at adding a spider and changing the color theme.
ranger2.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:11 pm

improvement in my book..I'd maybe like to see more of the spider and move ranger to the right of the frame even if you had to cut-off part of the cape..not sure

Edit: maybe I just feeling the image is left heavy

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:11 pm
improvement in my book..I'd maybe like to see more of the spider and move ranger to the right of the frame even if you had to cut-off part of the cape..not sure

Edit: maybe I just feeling the image is left heavy
good points - will be too much trouble to redo the spider, am thinking about it though, maybe I can find something to add on the right to balance the composition... Thanks Frank - your thoughts are always top notch and I appreciate them!

Edit - even a simple crop knocking off some of the right would improve it as you say. I have a problem letting go parts of the image that look cool though. for instance, it might have been better had the spider overlapped the ranger, but I JUST COULDN"T STAND to DO IT... You know what I mean.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 pm

as are most everyone's here...we grow together from seeing though each others eyes

Edit: I'm not sure that sounds right I can't figure out the wording but together we grow..always did my english papers the night before they were due