Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression CritiqueBlue Balloon Over Havana

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Blue Balloon Over Havana

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 pm

I couldn't tell you what all I did to this one, which was at a high ISO and from a moving bus. I made 2 copies of it, distorted one and lowered its opacity, stacked them, ran one through an oil paint filter and the other through a detail/color filter then blended them manually, did some reflection stuff at the bottom edge on an extended canvas, painted out some of the double exposure stuff that seemed too distracting, added a few textures, and here it is. It is more or less what I intended from the beginning. Though never sure anything like this works anyway.
Attachments
blue ballon (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Seems like a lot of work to get a blue ballon in focus......Bahahaha

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Minnie, I love this shot and what you did with it! Some thoughts...
1) Balloon is too sharp, make it a little more painterly - though I like the idea of it being the focal point!
2) Balloon placement - it is OK where it is, BUT, if you think the composition wants it somewhere else, it should be easy to move!
3) Your colors... Since they are so nicely defined, you can change them to be whatever you wish. I think they are perfect... BUT, if you think about the image from a color composition point of view, perhaps all the colors could take on more warmth - except for the blue balloon and perhaps one of your other colors that could match the blue balloon perfectly.
edit -- 4) Tame the double vision on the car - just a hair, it is distracting (draws attention)

Really, really like this image and what you have done with it!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:40 pm

also, I have been an idiot lately so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt. My main thought here is that it is a great image, but also, this is the perfect practice piece that would allow composition practice..
1) Is the balloon perfectly placed?
2) What color scheme would a master painter use if he painted this image "from his mind" using only colors that would further his vision?

edit - to be clear: The questions I ask are not questions that I have an answer for, rather they are questions that I Wish I Knew the answer to!!!!!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:29 pm
Seems like a lot of work to get a blue ballon in focus......Bahahaha
U R Rite!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:17 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:36 pm
Minnie, I love this shot and what you did with it! Some thoughts...
1) Balloon is too sharp, make it a little more painterly - though I like the idea of it being the focal point!
2) Balloon placement - it is OK where it is, BUT, if you think the composition wants it somewhere else, it should be easy to move!
3) Your colors... Since they are so nicely defined, you can change them to be whatever you wish. I think they are perfect... BUT, if you think about the image from a color composition point of view, perhaps all the colors could take on more warmth - except for the blue balloon and perhaps one of your other colors that could match the blue balloon perfectly.
edit -- 4) Tame the double vision on the car - just a hair, it is distracting (draws attention)

Really, really like this image and what you have done with it!

i agree about the balloon, I masked out too much of the paint layer on it trying to be sure it was recognizable as what it was, since it was the reason I took the picture anyway.

Ah, the Color Magician is trying to tempt me! I don't know enough about it yet, other than toning with gradient masks but not in extreme ways. That might be something to play with here though.

I'll take a look at the car and see if I'm too far in to get out! :D

Thanks, and I always appreciate your detailed feedback. Always!