Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." - Leo Buscaglia

― Artistic Expression CritiqueAvian Folly

Post Reply
User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Avian Folly

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

It's rained for 12 straight days so I've given up on photography. Today I sat down with a random set of elements and textures and made a Folly. Any edits or ideas gladly entertained.
Attachments
silly bird (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1773
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 am

Wow! With all that rain, it looks like the water has risen. I love your muted colors and your center bird. Thoughts as they hit me, take with a grain of salt. Statue left too yellow - particularly since it is on an edge. Floating fish, can't be main subject since it is bumping the column - (jarring effect, lots of dissonance from it). It is too bright, too happy - again it has contrasting emotions. The fish, make it further away... Or... bring it inside! Put it in front of your column. (nah... it is starting to grow on me...)

Hanging light and glow - the true subject, seen late but keeps and owns the eye. It is awesome, beautiful, the last warmth in a cold storm. Bird picture - interesting but I think too flat.

I love the composition, just balance/harness the energy in it a little. Maybe get rid of the left statue, maybe have a large dark outside tree in that quadrant, I don't know, but make it gone..

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:07 am

here's some more thoughts after reading Piet's post....a very well done image no matter what minniev..
Attachments
silly bird (1 of 1).jpg

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:27 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 am
Wow! With all that rain, it looks like the water has risen. I love your muted colors and your center bird. Thoughts as they hit me, take with a grain of salt. Statue left too yellow - particularly since it is on an edge. Floating fish, can't be main subject since it is bumping the column - (jarring effect, lots of dissonance from it). It is too bright, too happy - again it has contrasting emotions. The fish, make it further away... Or... bring it inside! Put it in front of your column. (nah... it is starting to grow on me...)

Hanging light and glow - the true subject, seen late but keeps and owns the eye. It is awesome, beautiful, the last warmth in a cold storm. Bird picture - interesting but I think too flat.

I love the composition, just balance/harness the energy in it a little. Maybe get rid of the left statue, maybe have a large dark outside tree in that quadrant, I don't know, but make it gone..
Thank you so much Piet, for thinking through this wacky thing with me.

I didn't like the statue much, so I agree with you. I did want more decorative elements, though. The fish is supposed to be flying behind the column but it isn't convincing (something that often happens to me when I combine drawn and photographed objects), so I am moving him out into full view where I think he will at least be no worse than he is now. The extra fish, above and below are both quirky on purpose.
The light, interestingly is actually a necklace, tinkered with. A new version will be added below. It may be better or worse.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:07 am
here's some more thoughts after reading Piet's post....a very well done image no matter what minniev..
I love the cartoon version of critique!!.

I hear you on the statue, and I just got rid of it.

The painting I am somewhat in love with so it stays, but I tried doing some dodge and burn to fit it into the corner better. The flying fish is actually a hot air balloon so he has to stay airborne. He is not a good fit, but for now I'm leaving him there. I did move him away from the column (which has been renovated).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Here is the Saturday version of the Dam Bird's Folly.
I needed something on the left side once the statue was gone and found a column made of dam birds! So I'm trying to work it in. Since it was plenty ornate, I could get by with a smaller art object on the left and settled for a vase.
Attachments
folly.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2601
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Minnie, is there meaning to your selection of items and their placement in your composition? If not, do you understand the meaning of the items you selected?
Typically a composition like this is to convey meaning through visual symbols. Each symbol representing something the author wants to convey and their placement and interaction with each other formulates a theme or narrative.

For example, the flying fish. The symbol of a fish can have several meanings; bounty, self reliance, even an allegorical representation of Jesus. Combined with the hot air balloon element can symbolize ascension. Knowing this, you can now see the narrative of that particular element.

The statue of the lovers... That's pretty self evident although you can reach deeper into the mythology of the lovers, Eros and Psyche.

The painting ties in well with (what I believe is the central subject) the bird. I read it as representing family, a familial connection to ancestors, family hierarchy and lineage.

The setting, in context with your previous work, is definitely an allegory for the damn and how it is these birds palace.

I usually caution artist that use symbols in their work to fully understand what they are using in order to avoid confusing the 'reader' of their art. I extend this warning here. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm
Minnie, is there meaning to your selection of items and their placement in your composition? If not, do you understand the meaning of the items you selected?
Typically a composition like this is to convey meaning through visual symbols. Each symbol representing something the author wants to convey and their placement and interaction with each other formulates a theme or narrative.

For example, the flying fish. The symbol of a fish can have several meanings; bounty, self reliance, even an allegorical representation of Jesus. Combined with the hot air balloon element can symbolize ascension. Knowing this, you can now see the narrative of that particular element.

The statue of the lovers... That's pretty self evident although you can reach deeper into the mythology of the lovers, Eros and Psyche.

The painting ties in well with (what I believe is the central subject) the bird. I read it as representing family, a familial connection to ancestors, family hierarchy and lineage.

The setting, in context with your previous work, is definitely an allegory for the damn and how it is these birds palace.

I usually caution artist that use symbols in their work to fully understand what they are using in order to avoid confusing the 'reader' of their art. I extend this warning here. :)
Thanks Duck for sharing your artistic viewpoint! I enjoy talking about this stuff.

Oh yes, I always have my own meanings in mind! As a writer long before I was a photographer, I always have a story that I’m trying to get down though I may flesh it out as I create. It’s the same way with writing: when you start a novel, you have control of the characters but pretty soon they begin to do things you didn’t expect.

To make matters even worse, my profession was clinical social work, and as a part of my training I studied the work of Carl Jung under a woman who had worked directly with him. “Man and His Symbols” can be found lurking under every composite I put together. But I am quite comfortable with viewers seeing different stories, or nothing at all, in what I put together.

This fish is not really a symbol in the Christological manner but further back up the representative ladder, more in reference to the bird itself. It is meant to be a challenge to the bird. The Moby Dick to his Ahab, so to speak. The bird catches fish and eats them. He has one speared in his beak and is depositing it in an antique vessel. The flying fish, and the too-big fish in the water, are those who have eluded fate and the bird, a reminder to the bird that though he has a mighty palace, a family history of success, and a fish in his beak, he cannot have all the fish in the world. The framed picture is one I stole from the Rijks museum site, by a classical Oriental painter, appropriately old to convey the ancestry theme. Fisher birds have been around, and subjects of art, for a long time. All the props are supposed to have a bit of the whimsical, since it’s fairly clear that there’s something comical about a dam bird building and furnishing a folly. It’s a more lighthearted creation than the nude tree being assaulted by a clawed animal that I posted a few days ago.

I got rid of the statue, which was simply another prop to fill out the furnishings of classical treasures, so it was exchangeable. In the latest incarnation, I found a carved column made of egrets!! So ditched the statue and added another antique urn.

So that is my story, but I welcome anyone finding their own, even if it’s entirely different!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm

I like this one better although I miss the statue..the deep conversation is enlightening for me as I never think that far into an image, so thank you all.....

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 pm
I like this one better although I miss the statue..the deep conversation is enlightening for me as I never think that far into an image, so thank you all.....
I wasn’t so attached to the statue. I think the bird wasn’t either. If I find a more suitable statue I’ll add it. I will shop in the Rijks museum where I found the painting.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests