It saddens me to forward the news that our good friend and fellow photographer, Matt Quinn, has passed.
As some of you may know, he had been battling cancer for a while and was on his way to recovery.
Please take a moment to remember him in your prayers.
"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

― Artistic Expression CritiqueSorta NSFW Composite - In The Woods

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Sorta NSFW Composite - In The Woods

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:38 pm

This is different for me. But I ran upon a tree that looked a lot like a naked human standing in the leaves, and I took a shot to figure a composite. I found a 1924 sketch by Simon Moulijn in the Rijks museum's 44K creative commons images (they actually encourage you to download them and use them in original creations of your own), and embedded it in the tree. Then something else was needed, so I thought of Piet's creations and a clawed creature came to mind. Things looked sort of lonely off on the right hand side so I found a pensive lass to sit and think about this drama. Suggestions, edits, all welcome.
Attachments
orig (1 of 1).jpg
creature (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:23 pm

I love the color work overall with the greens and warms, it adds depth and seems perfect for a fantasy mood. The seated figure is awesome for where it is, what it is, and the color. I think it needs a little bit more sharpness (or blur the surrounding twigs/brambles more). I'm not sure if the light on it is consistent, am thinking bring the light a little higher on the figure (lighten up the shadows on the it's right - camera left - perhaps). Also perhaps desaturate it more and darken it a little more, it is too prominent.

The female in the tree works well (for me), but perhaps a touch more subtle. Perhaps by reducing the saturation on it a little. The vine claws are cool, but too prominent and are way too light. I think this is an awesome image Min. Very dreamy, surreal, and a blast to play with!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:23 pm
I love the color work overall with the greens and warms, it adds depth and seems perfect for a fantasy mood. The seated figure is awesome for where it is, what it is, and the color. I think it needs a little bit more sharpness (or blur the surrounding twigs/brambles more). I'm not sure if the light on it is consistent, am thinking bring the light a little higher on the figure (lighten up the shadows on the it's right - camera left - perhaps). Also perhaps desaturate it more and darken it a little more, it is too prominent.

The female in the tree works well (for me), but perhaps a touch more subtle. Perhaps by reducing the saturation on it a little. The vine claws are cool, but too prominent and are way too light. I think this is an awesome image Min. Very dreamy, surreal, and a blast to play with!
Thanks Piet for your excellent suggestions! You showed up at the perfect time!

I will keep playing and try to incorporate them. Some I already suspected, some I already tried but didn’t go far enough, some I never considered. The darn claws were darker at one point but I did something that undid the darkening work I did on them. I get lost in layer groupings and clipping masks when trying to fix a problem on just one element like this. The light challenged me too. In real life, there wasn’t much, so all of it will be manipulated. It’s been fun to do something entirely different though. I’ll keep at this one a little while longer!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones