― Artistic Expression CritiqueNew Orleans Ladies #5 - Lady In Red

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

New Orleans Ladies #5 - Lady In Red

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Always seeking an artistic version. All suggestions appreciated.
Attachments
lady (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Really like the treatment but am distracted by the person directly above the right shoulder. Perhaps dull it down to the same intensity as the other background figure?. The gender of the person is unclear to me, and maybe that's what was there and that's your point. The muscular form in the biceps and legs, the beardish shading in the chin suggest male, while the torso suggests female.

Toulouse would approve.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 pm
Really like the treatment but am distracted by the person directly above the right shoulder. Perhaps dull it down to the same intensity as the other background figure?. The gender of the person is unclear to me, and maybe that's what was there and that's your point. The muscular form in the biceps and legs, the beardish shading in the chin suggest male, while the torso suggests female.

Toulouse would approve.

Matt
I was undecided about that background figure, glad to know your thoughts.

Many of the subjects in New Orleans are of indeterminate gender, or the current gender appears to perhaps be different from what it might originally have been. This is the third of the NOLA ladies I’ve posted that I’ve been unsure of. It has always been a city that opened its arms to folks with all kinds of differences so this is nothing new.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 pm

and an artistic version you have..well done. I am always undecided on borders..hard edges, soft edges, you seem to have a mix of both here and for the most part seems to work....the upper portion might need more attention as I'm reminded of ears.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 am

I think this is one heck of a study on light and form. Your processing accentuated that. I think you may have inverted traditional rules and for some reason you were successful with the mood you have created. I think (emphasis on that word, I could be wrong) that the tradition would have the up front be hard, contrasty, solid, sharp, while the background blurs away. Here the sharpness is in the background and yet for the main figure, the soft contrast changes and the lack of harshness Makes the image what it is. I think it is fantastic!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 am

Tradition --I learned something today--a day not wasted in Duck's lexicon. Thanks Piet, Minnie.
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 pm
and an artistic version you have..well done. I am always undecided on borders..hard edges, soft edges, you seem to have a mix of both here and for the most part seems to work....the upper portion might need more attention as I'm reminded of ears.....
thank ya! I'll look at the bunny ears. (I thought of horns, but New Orleans sort of tends to the dark side).

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:13 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 am
I think this is one heck of a study on light and form. Your processing accentuated that. I think you may have inverted traditional rules and for some reason you were successful with the mood you have created. I think (emphasis on that word, I could be wrong) that the tradition would have the up front be hard, contrasty, solid, sharp, while the background blurs away. Here the sharpness is in the background and yet for the main figure, the soft contrast changes and the lack of harshness Makes the image what it is. I think it is fantastic!
Thank you! I glad the intent came across. I wanted the central figure to be enigmatic. For one thing, this was not a particularly interesting person. What caught my eye was the red dress of somewhat clingy material stuck (in 100 degree heat) to a rather stodgy figure, against the dark backdrop of the 300 year old Pontalba edifice. I doubt Dave even bothered to take a shot of this one, as there were so many more exotic characters in all directions.