"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

― Artistic Expression Critique'Brandy' (You're a Good Girl)

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Brandy' (You're a Good Girl)

Post by davechinn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:49 pm

My latest composite consist of three images. The background image was taken on the beach in San Diego back in 2007. The girl image (Brandy) was taken at the Manhattan Harbour Yacht Club in Dayton, Kentucky back in 2014 and the sailor take at the Mt. Adams Pavilion in Cincinnati 2018. The image of the so called sailor was where I got the idea for this composite. Although, I didn't have the intention at the beginning for this composite to end as it has. Along the way, this was my 4th attempt for a satisfied result. I suppose it's kinda like writing a song. Start out with one line but end up with another, which brings me back to the title, taken from a 1972 song Brandy (You're a Good Girl) by Looking Glass, I felt was appropriate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GrXgEHMzE

This composite was some what difficult to match lighting and contrast for an acceptable finish. Thoughts and comments for improvements welcomed.
Dave
Attachments
Brandy #4w (You're a Good Girl).jpg
Brandy (You're a Good Girl)
San Diego ship May 2007 020w.jpg
San Diego Beach background
Sailor DEC_5414w color.jpg
Sailor
Brandy DEC_6891w color.jpg
Brandy
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Nicely done Mr. Chinn...well blended

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:42 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:49 pm
My latest composite consist of three images. The background image was taken on the beach in San Diego back in 2007. The girl image (Brandy) was taken at the Manhattan Harbour Yacht Club in Dayton, Kentucky back in 2014 and the sailor take at the Mt. Adams Pavilion in Cincinnati 2018. The image of the so called sailor was where I got the idea for this composite. Although, I didn't have the intention at the beginning for this composite to end as it has. Along the way, this was my 4th attempt for a satisfied result. I suppose it's kinda like writing a song. Start out with one line but end up with another, which brings me back to the title, taken from a 1972 song Brandy (You're a Good Girl) by Looking Glass, I felt was appropriate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GrXgEHMzE

This composite was some what difficult to match lighting and contrast for an acceptable finish. Thoughts and comments for improvements welcomed.
Dave
Another wonderfully conceptualized and concocted image, Dave. I think you've done a great job at matching up the lighting, which is one of the hardest parts of composites made out of disparate materials. Your softened approach and toning work well on this one. Your "Brandy" is wonderful on her own, and even if you started with the "sailor" she is the star of the show and should be.

A few ideas, though you are far more accomplished than I am with this business: The biggest/brightest cloud to the right of the sailors hat looks a little unnatural as those kinds of clouds don't typically vanish below a horizon; it's also kinda distracting. The brushwork around Brandi's hair looks like it could use a little variance to reduce the impression of haloing. Painting in the clouds there calls attention to the compositing process a bit for me, but that may only be because I recognize the artful struggle of compositing Hair.

All in all, a fun and fascinating image. I usually object to slanted horizons but here it seems to work for some reason, though I can't say why!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks Minnie for commenting. Your suggestions are spot on. It is obvious that "Brandy" is the star and she knows it too !!!

Hair separation is a difficult task for me, or at least has been. I have made some corrections with her hair, the horizon AND clouds. I'm sure there are other issues I've missed, but I'm satisfied with the final results.
Dave
Attachments
Brandy #5w (You're a Fine Girl).jpg
'Brandy' (You're a Fine Girl) Revised
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:52 pm

It's A Small World Afterall! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"