― Artistic Expression Critiquefingerwork - August 21 - Nymph Falls

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

fingerwork - August 21 - Nymph Falls

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 pm

in real life, the sunbather was a not so attractive young man, so I changed it. The noon light made the whole thing uninteresting so I changed that too. The colors were nice but dulled out by high contrast light so I reprogrammed the colors to suit the lady I pilfered from the Met free art collection. I thought she was more appropriate for a place called Nymph Falls anyway. Then from there, my usual masking, textures, filters, brushwork, blending modes, text stuff. Any suggestions appreciated, ya'll always find things I missed or new ideas I can try.
Attachments
nf (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm not convinced of this one just yet minniev...while I like the treatment of the scene I'm thrown off by the gal and print...not sure why, maybe the gal seems too big I'm not sure...maybe she just overpowers the image and makes it lopsided, I dunno.........

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 am

Enjoy your work as always Minni
As before, the following is a discussion piece and is only for you to decide.
Model too bright ( yellow ) and not fitting in? I think this is where Psjunkie was heading.
Model layer:
Try a color balance and have a look at the shadows/midtones/highlights.
Try a clipping mask on her. Fill with 50% gray, blend mode overlay. Use dodge and burn tool on her figure to define shape, highlight and shadows.
Move her feet to lower left of rock so she is slanting up the rock?
I'm looking at her left arm. Make a layer under model and gently paint with black to give her shadow. If blacks too heavy, reduce layer opacity
Have a play with photo filters in P/S
Above all. Have fun and be yourself.
Kind regards to all;
ed davis

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Nymph Falls, oh my, get my mind out of the gutter !!! I'm in agreement, the color balance seems to be off between the lady and the selected image. She does, appear to be a little out of proportion in size with the rock and may need a little more signs of shadowing. Although, this does have a comical appeal and could very well be used as a post card as is.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 pm
I'm not convinced of this one just yet minniev...while I like the treatment of the scene I'm thrown off by the gal and print...not sure why, maybe the gal seems too big I'm not sure...maybe she just overpowers the image and makes it lopsided, I dunno.........
Thanks Frank. These things are confounding. I'll tinker with her sizing. Of course she is a very retouched and aged photo before I stuck into Nymph Falls, so there's that, too.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm

pop511 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 am
Enjoy your work as always Minni
As before, the following is a discussion piece and is only for you to decide.
Model too bright ( yellow ) and not fitting in? I think this is where Psjunkie was heading.
Model layer:
Try a color balance and have a look at the shadows/midtones/highlights.
Try a clipping mask on her. Fill with 50% gray, blend mode overlay. Use dodge and burn tool on her figure to define shape, highlight and shadows.
Move her feet to lower left of rock so she is slanting up the rock?
I'm looking at her left arm. Make a layer under model and gently paint with black to give her shadow. If blacks too heavy, reduce layer opacity
Have a play with photo filters in P/S
Above all. Have fun and be yourself.
Kind regards to all;
You've got some great ideas to help me modify this one. I use these to learn from, since fiddling seems to be better for my learning than just reading/watching. I'll try all these. I'm just beginning to experiment with the shadows/lighting parts of compositing, and finding them very challenging and not exactly intuitive, plus the fact that there's multiple ways to do most anything (that's both good and bad) in PS. I really appreciate the hints.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:42 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:11 pm
Nymph Falls, oh my, get my mind out of the gutter !!! I'm in agreement, the color balance seems to be off between the lady and the selected image. She does, appear to be a little out of proportion in size with the rock and may need a little more signs of shadowing. Although, this does have a comical appeal and could very well be used as a post card as is.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I knew I'd tackled a difficult composite, for me, on this one. I appreciate the hints from those who've traveled this road! I will tangle some more with her and see what I can do.