"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression CritiqueSmall Boat at Sea (Composite)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Small Boat at Sea (Composite)

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Not precisely inspired by (perhaps homage to) some of Piet's creations, especially Lost.

This started with a literal snapshot with a smartphone camera. The boat is a random decoration hanging on a (would you believe) bathroom wall. I made the original picture for (?) some reason (testing the camera?) and had it for months before coming across it and deciding to see what if anything could be done with it.
Attachments
IMG_20180116_160629.jpg
Small Boat in Sea.SHUTMAX.jpg
I made it with the idea that it could be used as computer wallpaper. The seascape came from a free wallpaper site.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 am

I think this is pretty cool Chuck - with the rolling/repeating waves, it has an old world map drawing type of feel. You feel the vastness, the image fits the words for sure.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:03 pm
Not precisely inspired by (perhaps homage to) some of Piet's creations, especially Lost.

This started with a literal snapshot with a smartphone camera. The boat is a random decoration hanging on a (would you believe) bathroom wall. I made the original picture for (?) some reason (testing the camera?) and had it for months before coming across it and deciding to see what if anything could be done with it.
Yes! I like it a lot! But most of all, I’m excited to see another intrepid adventurer step into the world of Created Images. It’s addictive, it’s fun, and there is no end to what you can do once you get started. Welcome to a whole new world!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 am
I think this is pretty cool Chuck - with the rolling/repeating waves, it has an old world map drawing type of feel. You feel the vastness, the image fits the words for sure.
Thank you Piet! Coming from you I very much appreciate your thoughts!
minniev wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 pm
Yes! I like it a lot! But most of all, I’m excited to see another intrepid adventurer step into the world of Created Images. It’s addictive, it’s fun, and there is no end to what you can do once you get started. Welcome to a whole new world!
Thanks Min, and coming from you I appreciate your appreciation! I don't know if I'll do it again though, or often anyway. I just had this silly little literal snap. I liked the boat. Actually it's a terrible boat, seems to have two jibs on opposite ends and wouldn't sail worth a darn, but I liked it. Then I forgot about it until running across it while looking for something else and the concept just appeared in my brain. (?) I put it in critique to see if it's actually any good. I thought it showed some compositing skill but what I usually do is swap out a sky or something so this was a new and different thing.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Pretty clever. You even got the scale looking correct. Having been out on the Atlantic myself I can feel for the captain's plight. Of course I was on an aircraft carrier so being on a small boat like this would be exponentially scarier.

Hmm... Me thinks a sea monster would up the stakes even more. :devil:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Chuck, Wonderful. Looks like you were here on the cape for this. Nauset Beach has those waves in stormy weather. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:19 am

Duck wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Pretty clever. You even got the scale looking correct. Having been out on the Atlantic myself I can feel for the captain's plight. Of course I was on an aircraft carrier so being on a small boat like this would be exponentially scarier.

Hmm... Me thinks a sea monster would up the stakes even more. :devil:
Thanks, Duck! I hadn't considered a sea monster... (Y)
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:24 pm
Chuck, Wonderful. Looks like you were here on the cape for this. Nauset Beach has those waves in stormy weather. Matt
Thanks Matt. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that I summered with my grandparents for years on Block Island, Rhode Island. I was born in New York City and the Atlantic was my first love. In 2014 Daphne and I made it back to "The Island" and were amazed and pleased that they have managed to arrest the whole place in time. I hadn't been there in more than 50 years yet hardly anything had changed. The old drugstore is now a hotel and things like that, but even the old Empire Theater is still there and still the movie theater.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:08 am

Chuck, Some places here on the Cape have that stalled-in-time feel, especially along Rte 6A. Maureen and I take it on errands when we head in that direction (west from our house). Neve been to Block Island but have heard it described as you have. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 am

Excellent execution.
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:54 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 am
Excellent execution.
Thank you, Ed! :thanks: