― Artistic Expression CritiqueBlueberries - Fingerwork #3

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Blueberries - Fingerwork #3

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm

I am posting these in Critique now, since I figured out posting them in showcase might make people think I didn't want feedback. I don't want you to feel like you have to wear yourself out on these since I'm just practicing and these are not what I'd call polished work. But tell me anything you want about them, the feedback helps. I don't know enough to ask the right questions. Some questions I'm asking myself - is the light spot on the bottom center too light? Should the "screen" motif be reduced in size or opacity? I won't go further just out of kindness.

The assignment was to use at least a base image and at least one texture layer and at least one extraneous graphic element that wasn't a photo (could be anything from a border to an unbird).
Attachments
blue (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm

I didn't make comment in showcase even though I didn't think you'd mind just because it was showcase.....I find no issue with the bright spot or screen....what does jump out at me is the foreground blueberries size, for me reducing the size would seem more balanced....or maybe enlarging the others, have not tried but those are my feelings........I think you have executed the concept very well..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 pm

stunning, beautiful work - I love these textures and colors. This is what Macro photography should be all about, to be able to see detail, but to see that detail presented with grace and beauty.

One thing that might help - Frank expressed the size difference - Rotate the image 90 degrees counter clockwise. That brings the large blue berries into the foreground and the smaller reddish berries into the background. A rotation would keep it from being "top heavy".

You need to print this and hang it on a wall - the only thing that I debate is whether to hang it like you have it or with a 90 degree rotation to the left. (but I do like your framing flower elements to be bottom left and top right as you have them). Also, take a look at the flower framing elements and consider them a 80 or 90 percent opacity - that is likely just a matter of taste, but worth looking at. And the hatching/framing needs to fill in your top too!!! (I think anyway).

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:31 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm
I didn't make comment in showcase even though I didn't think you'd mind just because it was showcase.....I find no issue with the bright spot or screen....what does jump out at me is the foreground blueberries size, for me reducing the size would seem more balanced....or maybe enlarging the others, have not tried but those are my feelings........I think you have executed the concept very well..
Thank you Frank. I took this with the macro lens so it was pretty close up, but I will look and see if there's room to back away.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 pm
stunning, beautiful work - I love these textures and colors. This is what Macro photography should be all about, to be able to see detail, but to see that detail presented with grace and beauty.

One thing that might help - Frank expressed the size difference - Rotate the image 90 degrees counter clockwise. That brings the large blue berries into the foreground and the smaller reddish berries into the background. A rotation would keep it from being "top heavy".

You need to print this and hang it on a wall - the only thing that I debate is whether to hang it like you have it or with a 90 degree rotation to the left. (but I do like your framing flower elements to be bottom left and top right as you have them). Also, take a look at the flower framing elements and consider them a 80 or 90 percent opacity - that is likely just a matter of taste, but worth looking at. And the hatching/framing needs to fill in your top too!!! (I think anyway).
Thanks Piet, for a great idea about slipping it over sideways. I agree about the flowers and fiddled some with them already but they do need more subduing. Not sure about how to place the hatching across that spot, but will figure out something to try. The great thing about working in PS is keeping your layers intact so you can go back and revisit just one particular element without having to retrace very step.

My hope is to get a few of these "house pictures" framed for, of course, the walls of the house. Little intimate scenes such as these I'm posting are like my own versions of the small detailed still life watercolors that used to hang on these walls. Most were done during the years my aunt home for summers from art school, and they added so much grace. They wandered off, lost or given or thrown away, but they still inspire me to try.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 am

Not sure about how to place the hatching across that spot, but will figure out something to try. The great thing about working in PS is keeping your layers intact so you can go back and revisit just one particular element without having to retrace very step.
edit>transform to stretch that entire hatching layer to cover your entire canvas. (You may be comfortable with the transform in which case I am sorry I mentioned it - but I don't know if it is a hole in your knowledge or not. If you Don't know about transform, you really want to, that's for sure!.)

Working with textures I am pretty sure you use that tool all the time to resize things as you need them, but on the off chance that you don't it definitely is an area that Must be mastered. And it leads to other things, like warping selections (something I seldom do, but need to take more time to play with). Transforming the shape of the layers and selections is like a big percentage of PS's flex and punch and should not be ignored..

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:15 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 pm
minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 am

Not sure about how to place the hatching across that spot, but will figure out something to try. The great thing about working in PS is keeping your layers intact so you can go back and revisit just one particular element without having to retrace very step.
edit>transform to stretch that entire hatching layer to cover your entire canvas. (You may be comfortable with the transform in which case I am sorry I mentioned it - but I don't know if it is a hole in your knowledge or not. If you Don't know about transform, you really want to, that's for sure!.)

Working with textures I am pretty sure you use that tool all the time to resize things as you need them, but on the off chance that you don't it definitely is an area that Must be mastered. And it leads to other things, like warping selections (something I seldom do, but need to take more time to play with). Transforming the shape of the layers and selections is like a big percentage of PS's flex and punch and should not be ignored..
I do use transform a lot but am not good with some of the subsets of commands like warping and skewing and such, definitely something I've gotta get better at. The texture of the screen isn't solid though, it is already broken up this way and the darned flower thingys are part of it. I think it is more an overlay than a texture. I like it but would have more control if it was something that was in separate pieces that I could manipulate better. I may take this one from the start again, but not right away. I'm headed to BC tomorrow morning with only the ipad, so I won't be doing much layering, only the odds and ends I can do with the ipad. I know there's more (and halleluia, Adobe announced they are developing a robust version of PS for mobile!) I can do a little but am still learning. I am sure I'll have to start my class over again when I get back as I'll have a mind full of grizzlies and orcas instead of blueberries and cream pitchers.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:38 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm
I am posting these in Critique now, since I figured out posting them in showcase might make people think I didn't want feedback. I don't want you to feel like you have to wear yourself out on these since I'm just practicing and these are not what I'd call polished work. But tell me anything you want about them, the feedback helps. I don't know enough to ask the right questions. Some questions I'm asking myself - is the light spot on the bottom center too light? Should the "screen" motif be reduced in size or opacity? I won't go further just out of kindness.

The assignment was to use at least a base image and at least one texture layer and at least one extraneous graphic element that wasn't a photo (could be anything from a border to an unbird).
It's good to ask questions, and even better to play with all the options, but I think you're already there! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"