“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Artistic Expression CritiqueMarshLord

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: MarshLord

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:41 am
and you think I have????? you have a man sitting on one for perspective......this seems better. how about a lock ness monster?
Ha!
Duck wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:22 am
≈∩≈∩≈Γ≈
I think that means NO NESSY Required - it would be too much intersection and might as well put in a McDonnalds then.
davechinn wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 am
I'm excited to see the finished product. Excellent on many levels Piet !!!
Dave
thanks Dave, going slow on this one, plowing through lot of ctrl.paint tuts.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 am

had a chance to mess some more... not ready for color yet, been trying to learn more. One thing I am trying now is to get the feel of the material closer while the image is still in grey scale. So if it is flesh, fur, mane, fabric, leather, etc - I attempted to blend/smooth out the harshness and contrast that was present. I don't think it was fully successful, but probably a step in the right direction.
watch3.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:01 am

yes it appears you've succeeded....

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 am
had a chance to mess some more... not ready for color yet, been trying to learn more. One thing I am trying now is to get the feel of the material closer while the image is still in grey scale. So if it is flesh, fur, mane, fabric, leather, etc - I attempted to blend/smooth out the harshness and contrast that was present. I don't think it was fully successful, but probably a step in the right direction. watch3.jpg
The sizes and forms seem better matched now, and the positioning is better suited to the scene. This is shaping up. I can't wait to see what you do next! I love the marsh lord. Will this turn into a series?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:01 am
thanks Frank, good to know it has improved.
minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm
The sizes and forms seem better matched now, and the positioning is better suited to the scene. This is shaping up. I can't wait to see what you do next! I love the marsh lord. Will this turn into a series?
I need to figure out Duck's castle (that might be a last type step at the point where mood and such is added. For this time round my strategy has been all the composition and figures are in grey. Then I will apply base colors by doing selections and developing a gradient map for each selection. Doing this will allow me to have a red flag for instance that reads red. Each selection/gradient will be able to be independent and I will be able to change values per material.

If I had yellow leather for instance, I could use the selection/gradient to make it "lighter" in value so that the yellow doesn't come out a darker muddy splotch.

Also, each selection/gradient will be adjustable, so if we want to strategically change colors we can. And then textures and overall colors can unify at the end..

Yeah, I am going to document each step along the way...

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:38 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:01 am
thanks Frank, good to know it has improved.
minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:17 pm
I need to figure out Duck's castle (that might be a last type step at the point where mood and such is added. For this time round my strategy has been all the composition and figures are in grey. Then I will apply base colors by doing selections and developing a gradient map for each selection. Doing this will allow me to have a red flag for instance that reads red. Each selection/gradient will be able to be independent and I will be able to change values per material.

If I had yellow leather for instance, I could use the selection/gradient to make it "lighter" in value so that the yellow doesn't come out a darker muddy splotch.

Also, each selection/gradient will be adjustable, so if we want to strategically change colors we can. And then textures and overall colors can unify at the end..

Yeah, I am going to document each step along the way...
A metal castle like the figures, or a photography castle?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 pm
Either one would likely work for this scene. I think you only need a hint of a castle. Nothing so strong that it pulls attention from the soldiers.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 pm
Either one would likely work for this scene. I think you only need a hint of a castle. Nothing so strong that it pulls attention from the soldiers.
I like Duck's idea, will be my chance to paint. I will find a reference and then see if I can paint a hint. Probably also, will introduce some fog/haze so that it blends into the far background.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:42 pm

pleased and not pleased. There is a lot of power in using gradients to color. I have a selection and gradient for most of the objects present. Mostly I have them in blend mode Normal, but the straps on the horse and rider are Multiply, and the straps on the man standing is Overlay (same gradient, completely different feel).

What I am not happy with is my color selections.

If I can pin them down, then I can move on and further improve. Next steps include
refining the image to darken shadows and that kind of thing, adding mood, adding texture and global colors to unify the piece, drawing in a castle, making it look good. But first I need better colors - at least they are very easy to change!!!
MarshLord4.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Truly intriguing and gradient coloring's a great way to go but I'm not creative at all so can't help with color.....or much else