― Artistic Expression CritiqueBenedikt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Benedikt

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi, Meet Benedikt Hellhorn - Evil Warrior, Reaper Miniature available at Amazon for ten dollars and fifty cents. From the bottom of his boots to the top of his helmet is almost exactly one and one half inches of pewter - he is pretty heavy.

I took three shots of him with the focus on his helmet, the front of the sword, and the back of the shield. I used PS to auto align and then used Nik Silver Efex Pro to convert him to B/W. I allowed a slight blue tinge to remain as I think that a cooler scene is in order.

My goal is to do a better job of painting him. He will be the main figure so I might as well do the best I can with him including attempting to apply some atmospheric effects to him (for instance his cape will be blue and cooler than his armor - hopefully to allow the cape to recede while the figure advances).

A problem with the last scene was that I went with a hot background and because of that, all the normal painting atmospheric perspective types of stuff kind of went out the window, so I am hoping for a cleaner more standard image.

Shooting the image took perhaps five minutes, putting them onto the computer and using PS perhaps another five minutes, and this silly dissertation another five. So my investment so far is but fifteen minutes - CHEAP. Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, kept in a folder called soldiers and within that a folder called Benedikt - I am trying hard to be organized.

This is what I have so far:
B1.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Gee, I'm having trouble with the site! I cannot see the image on the page. The only way I could see Benedikt was to download him. He is in his papertowel tent, I think, but full of elaborate detail that should make him and his kin fun to work with. Your project is as fun for us as it is for you, but ours is the lazy man's fun, getting to watch and enjoy rather than putting out all the work. Do you keep a notebook with your notes about the Benedikt project? Your lessons, what works and doesn't work? I'd have to do that on something as detailed as this project is. I admire your imagination and your tenacity. Keep inspiring us.

Meanwhile, I am going to try and use the skill you taught me to paint a bowl of blueberries...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:09 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 pm
Gee, I'm having trouble with the site! I cannot see the image on the page. The only way I could see Benedikt was to download him. He is in his papertowel tent, I think, but full of elaborate detail that should make him and his kin fun to work with. Your project is as fun for us as it is for you, but ours is the lazy man's fun, getting to watch and enjoy rather than putting out all the work. Do you keep a notebook with your notes about the Benedikt project? Your lessons, what works and doesn't work? I'd have to do that on something as detailed as this project is. I admire your imagination and your tenacity. Keep inspiring us.

Meanwhile, I am going to try and use the skill you taught me to paint a bowl of blueberries...
LOL, I am looking forward to a bowl of blueberries! No, no notes, I tend to forget and relearn, BUT, these mini-articles (documented experiments) certainly serve me as notes of a sort.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Will be watching with anticipation....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:11 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:02 pm
Will be watching with anticipation....
Thank you Frank, we continue! Please understand that I really don't know what I am doing, I am just applying what I "think" I know.

First I cropped and slightly rotated things to square them a little. Then I flattened my existing layers and applied a small gradient adjustment to add just a touch of purple to the darks and a touch of tan to the lights (It wasn't much). I created a new layer on top and set the blending mode to color. Knowing (hoping) that warm colors come forward and cool colors recede, I choose a blue color for his cape and colored it in. I then added some warmer colors for his armor and a green brown for the ground. The result is not much...
base colors.jpg

I am going to play with some additional aspects. For instance, while the model is all pewter (reflective), a fabric (his cape) would be much less reflective (as would the ground). So... outside of painting details, I figure that contrast adjustments may be helpful. We will give the Armor MORE contrast, and we will remove contrast from things that should not be shiny (I don't know how well this will work but figure doing something to take the materials into consideration can't hurt). I will do that next screen...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 am

and it seems to help... the metal parts now have greater contrast, and the fabric has less contrast. Where I reduced contrast I also reduced saturation and structure.
contrast for metal.jpg
Next, we will paint highlights on a layer set to overlay blend mode. If I feel that the light is coming from the sky, I will also try to cool the color (even a cloudy sky has blue). If I feel the light is coming from the ground, then I will try to warm the color. So, it depends on which direction the surface is pointing, up or down as to whether it goes cool or warm..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:11 am

here is the layer with what I thought were highlights applied
highlights.jpg
And next I am working on a shadow layer using a blend mode of multiply. I need to avoid adding too much contrast to the garment - but the armor can take a lot of shadow - and the ground will also get a lot of shadow.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 am

and here is the result of the multiply layer (drawing darkness into shadows and strengthening lines) - and then I again added contrast to the metal.
multiply.jpg
And here we have an asset. All the major work has been done Before attempting to integrate it. Later when I DO integrate it, I can use screen to apply some environmental reflections to him, and I can blend in his edges. I guess it is ok to be Neutral and Flat at this point, since later these assets will also get atmospheric perspective applied - If anyone else has an appropriate set of work that an asset could benefit from, please jump in and share, all I am doing is trying to document my play time - I Don't Know Enough!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 am

interesting journey...I shall keep watching and chime in if I think I can add any value

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:02 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 am
interesting journey...I shall keep watching and chime in if I think I can add any value
LOL, don't hold back, you can't know if it has value - typically you tell me something that I don't know and that Always has value.