"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Artistic Expression CritiqueEgrets

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Egrets

Post by minniev » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Another paint-oriented experiment. A mix of stuff. Tell me what you think.
Attachments
birds (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

Like the main image but the border seem distracting fo me, maybe feathered more I'm not sure......

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am
Like the main image but the border seem distracting fo me, maybe feathered more I'm not sure......
Thanks Frank, I wondered if I was trying to experiment with too many things at once. Will relook the edging, it is all layered so I can keep fiddling as I often do.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 pm

reduce the yellow blur on the beaks a hair, it grabs the attention too quickly. Perhaps brighten the legs a little.. One other thought - the colors of the birds seem to be blending into the background, rather, consider blending the colors of the background a hair into the birds.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 pm
reduce the yellow blur on the beaks a hair, it grabs the attention too quickly. Perhaps brighten the legs a little.. One other thought - the colors of the birds seem to be blending into the background, rather, consider blending the colors of the background a hair into the birds.
Thanks for these specific ideas Piet. I know you pursue some of these fantasies that lie between photography and art, and i appreciate your knowledge.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 pm

I like it very much! I agree with Frank that the border needs something, softened, blended into the wood behind it so that it doesn't look so sharply cut out. I like the effect, but I think the edge looks cut as opposed to torn and feathered. I also agree with Piet that I'd like to see their legs. One of the things I love about all these crane-type birds is the way they stretch everything out aerodynamically, the legs straight out behind with the toes pointed, like ballerinas en pointe. I realize that lightening their legs is a 3 or 400% strain-the-eyes job, but I think it's worth it. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 pm
I like it very much! I agree with Frank that the border needs something, softened, blended into the wood behind it so that it doesn't look so sharply cut out. I like the effect, but I think the edge looks cut as opposed to torn and feathered. I also agree with Piet that I'd like to see their legs. One of the things I love about all these crane-type birds is the way they stretch everything out aerodynamically, the legs straight out behind with the toes pointed, like ballerinas en pointe. I realize that lightening their legs is a 3 or 400% strain-the-eyes job, but I think it's worth it. (OK)
Thanks, Chuck. I can easily shrink or even remove the border since it's only a clipping mask anyway. Fixing their legs may be harder, but blessedly screen enlargement gives us a fighting chance! Once I actually stole some legs from another egret and "built" a bird some better legs, just to see if I could!

Love the comparison to a ballerina en pointe. These birds often remind me of dancers, too.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 am

What do you think about extending the background to the edges? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"