"Whatever you do, be so good they can't ignore you." —Candy Crowley

― Artistic Expression Critique'Devil Dog Dare' (Composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Devil Dog Dare' (Composite)

Post by davechinn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:45 pm

I originally started out editing Randy again, because I wasn't totally satisfied with my last edit of him, which has been posted previously several months ago. However, upon close completion, the idea of a composite came to mind, using Randy, since his attire happen to be similar to a WWII pilot. Here, I used a B-17 and a B-25 bomber along with a couple of North American P-51 Mustang planes. I do have a B&W sepia toned version, but this one stuck MY approval over the other. As always, composites are a work in progress and I know there are issues with this one that need corrections/changes and possibly additions. So I will leave it as is for now, asking for ANY suggestions that may need to be addressed.
Attachments
Devil Dog Dare #2w .jpg
'Devil Dog Dare'

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Fascinating composite Dave. The portrait part is the strength of it, of course, such a captivating, weathered face, with that slightly devilish smile. I am hard put to even figure out what you did so it's harder to say what you might do differently. I like the toning, the various shadowing and texturing approaches. I do wonder if the small planes might benefit from some softening to make them more like the rest of the components instead of needle-sharp. That's just a random thought though, from someone who is well behind you in this skillset.

Well done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:43 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 pm
Fascinating composite Dave. The portrait part is the strength of it, of course, such a captivating, weathered face, with that slightly devilish smile. I am hard put to even figure out what you did so it's harder to say what you might do differently. I like the toning, the various shadowing and texturing approaches. I do wonder if the small planes might benefit from some softening to make them more like the rest of the components instead of needle-sharp. That's just a random thought though, from someone who is well behind you in this skillset.

Well done.

Thank you Minnie !!! Yes his weathered face and attire really fits the theme. This composite was actually taken from another composite, but I haven't posted yet. My additions here were Randy and the B-17, which is the 4 prop engine plane directly behind him. After looking closer, the smaller planes would definitely benefit softening up some. Glad you caught that, I didn't pick up on it.
Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:44 pm

This one's looking pretty nice Mr. Chinn....minniev makes a good point.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 am

Randy would be proud of this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:24 pm

I think it works very well, especially the light on Randy coming from his right, the sky, full of planes. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|