― Artistic Expression CritiqueRound Island Light

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Round Island Light

Post by minniev » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I’m still in Biloxi, playing with photos on the ipad. Since I like playing with textures, it was important for me to find an app that would let me do that in the layerless environment of a tablet. And yes, I found one named Distressed by the lady who makes the unbirds. She even makes unbirds for the app! So here, a frivolous version of the old light for all suggestions.
6194FA9B-9D4B-450B-835F-1E19A9759CE4.jpeg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Very creative minniev....

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 pm
Very creative minniev....
It was fun! I’ll do up a more traditional version once I get home. This old light was relocated when it was in danger of destruction, and moved further inland. So now it sits between two lanes of an 8 lane highway. I had to be a little creative in how I framed it to eliminate the 18 wheelers racing by on all sides.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:26 pm

That sounds an unlikely location and might make an interesting shot in and of itself..

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm
I’m still in Biloxi, playing with photos on the ipad. Since I like playing with textures, it was important for me to find an app that would let me do that in the layerless environment of a tablet. And yes, I found one named Distressed by the lady who makes the unbirds. She even makes unbirds for the app! So here, a frivolous version of the old light for all suggestions.

6194FA9B-9D4B-450B-835F-1E19A9759CE4.jpeg

Minnie, I love everything about this image. The editing fits perfectly and knowing a little bit of the history goes a long way as well, especially knowing what had to be done to get the shot. I would hope you took a couple shots of the traffic and roadways this lighthouse sits between. A lovely image for sure.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:26 pm

I think it is wonderfully creative in every respect, a completely out-of-the-box take on a lighthouse, and you know I love lighthouses. To come up with a way to photograph a lighthouse that has to sit between lanes on a highway...???!! (I'm glad they rescued it but jeepers did they really hafta do that?) (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:26 pm
That sounds an unlikely location and might make an interesting shot in and of itself..
I got some accidentally but they aren’t very good. I didn’t think of trying to capitalize on it till you mentioned it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:29 pm
Minnie, I love everything about this image. The editing fits perfectly and knowing a little bit of the history goes a long way as well, especially knowing what had to be done to get the shot. I would hope you took a couple shots of the traffic and roadways this lighthouse sits between. A lovely image for sure.
Dave
Till you and Frank brought it up, I didn’t think of trying to get all those big trucks in there on purpose. I have some accidents but not composed right. Glad you like the frivolous lighthouse, unbirds and all.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:26 pm
I think it is wonderfully creative in every respect, a completely out-of-the-box take on a lighthouse, and you know I love lighthouses. To come up with a way to photograph a lighthouse that has to sit between lanes on a highway...???!! (I'm glad they rescued it but jeepers did they really hafta do that?) (N)
Thanks Chuck. I love lighthouses too and this was the first time I’d photographed this one, which is one of only 2 in our state, both in busy places. This one has no parking so you have to either run across the highway, or get someone to dump you out quickly on the roadside and come back (I did the latter). Don’t know what they were thinking, but there is a lot of interesting stuff stranded between the lanes of hwy 90 on the coast. There is a lot of sculpture, the two lighthouses, and other anomalies.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 am

Now you're stepping into the video game market and the macabre. I keep looking for the bats!

I love this one for how the texture evokes so many stories waiting to be told. More please! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"