― Artistic Expression Critique'Creative Clouds'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Creative Clouds'

Post by davechinn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:08 pm

A composite of the North American B-25J Mitchell- Miss Mitchell, with layers of clouds for an attempt to create a dramatic effect to simulate that the B-25 is flying (rather than on the ground) through the clouds. Not sure if the end result has that impression, but your thoughts and comments on the matter would be appreciated along with any other hidden issues. Yes, of course there is a black & white version, but I decided on this one for now.
Attachments
Creative Cloud DEC_8473w.jpg
'Creative Clouds'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Most definitely flying! What I like most is that the plane is fairly well hidden, you don't notice it immediately - more a suggestion than a strong statement. Very compelling!

On the other hand, I'm not fond of the look of the woman's breast; that is just a bit TOO strong :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:46 pm
Most definitely flying! What I like most is that the plane is fairly well hidden, you don't notice it immediately - more a suggestion than a strong statement. Very compelling!

On the other hand, I'm not fond of the look of the woman's breast; that is just a bit TOO strong :)
Thanks Linda !!! I wasn't all that sure if this could/would be realistic. As far as the artwork on the side of the plane. Must be a guy thing, she is in a bathing suite and other than placing clouds over the selected area I have no other idea for a solution. However, since the artwork belongs to someone from that time era, I felt it was necessary to leave as is. Besides, if the individual is a real person, I'm sure she would be proud to be displayed as such. I appreciate you pointing it out though.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm
... Besides, if the individual is a real person, I'm sure she would be proud to be displayed as such...
:thumbup: :thumbup:
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 pm

I saw miss Mitchell right away, the plane perhaps 10 seconds later. I like the color and the mood - the plane does not look like it is flying however, unless perhaps as a ghost ship. For me the bright splash of light on top works well, but the lower clouds leave you confused - you know the clouds can't be behind the plane. Perhaps a smaller version of the plane in similar light and clouds would work (if realism flight was your goal).

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 am

The pp is well done but I think falls short of achieving your stated intent Mr. Chinn....or at least partially, it is dramatic..

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:01 am

I like it, and I do get a sense of flight, perhaps ghostly flight since so many of those crews never came home. Their casualty rate was horrifying. That's what I thought of as soon as I saw it. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 pm
I saw miss Mitchell right away, the plane perhaps 10 seconds later. I like the color and the mood - the plane does not look like it is flying however, unless perhaps as a ghost ship. For me the bright splash of light on top works well, but the lower clouds leave you confused - you know the clouds can't be behind the plane. Perhaps a smaller version of the plane in similar light and clouds would work (if realism flight was your goal).

Piet, you touched on something of my concern as well. The lower clouds was one of my main issues, but decided to leave as is, for now, but will make some corrections. A ghost ship never came to mind, but do see and agree. I am a little confused though, “you know the clouds can’t be behind the plane”. I don’t understand why they can’t.

I understand your suggestion of maybe a smaller version of the plane and I may make that attempt. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 am
The pp is well done but I think falls short of achieving your stated intent Mr. Chinn....or at least partially, it is dramatic..

Yes, it does fall short. Final correction are on the way when time allows. Thanks for your input/feedback.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:01 am
I like it, and I do get a sense of flight, perhaps ghostly flight since so many of those crews never came home. Their casualty rate was horrifying. That's what I thought of as soon as I saw it. (OK)

Thanks Chuck!!! Ghostly flight never came to mind,until you and Piet mentioned that thought. That term raises some other ideas I may need to try.
Dave

David Alan Harvey