"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression Critique'Blue Moon of Kentucky'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Blue Moon of Kentucky'

Post by davechinn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Okay, this is not a blue moon !!! However, it is a composite and two of the three elements were taken in Kentucky. The wizard in the moonlight is a friend and was taken in Ohio. The gate is an old entrance to St. Walburg Monastery, aka Villa Madonna Academy, which is, or used to be a convent for nuns.

The gate and brick wall was taken at near noon time and since the scene had such an eerie feeling I felt by adding a full moon, dramatic clouds and some fog would enhance my own vision to create a simulated night scene. I know, the moon is not realistic, but neither is anything else about the image. So, did I waste my time? Thoughts and suggestions welcomed. As always, this a work in progress, I just don't have all the elements for completion and may take some time to complete.
Attachments
Blue Moon of Ky DEC_9395w B&W.jpg
'Blue Moon of Kentucky'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Nitpicking of course....white speck top of left pillar, moon's edge a bit goofy between 2 and 3 o'clock, shadow seems like it should be more straight backwards than angled left......a fun image Mr. Chinn.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 pm
Okay, this is not a blue moon !!! However, it is a composite and two of the three elements were taken in Kentucky. The wizard in the moonlight is a friend and was taken in Ohio. The gate is an old entrance to St. Walburg Monastery, aka Villa Madonna Academy, which is, or used to be a convent for nuns.

The gate and brick wall was taken at near noon time and since the scene had such an eerie feeling I felt by adding a full moon, dramatic clouds and some fog would enhance my own vision to create a simulated night scene. I know, the moon is not realistic, but neither is anything else about the image. So, did I waste my time? Thoughts and suggestions welcomed. As always, this a work in progress, I just don't have all the elements for completion and may take some time to complete.
I am so glad when Frank shows up first to collect all the nits and then I don't have to worry about them (he's almost always right on the money).

Great fanciful composition with so many fun moving parts (the wizard is my favorite of course). Must more interesting than the super blue blood eclipse moon I saw this morning.

I would probably add a slightly grungy texture or even two over the top of this thing once it's finalized, to help pull all the parts together and add depth. Something blue-toned might be nice...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am

davechinn wrote:

Very interesting Dave and creative. What do you think about placing the wizard in the arch? Since you are the wizard here, you can do what you will. I agree with Minnie's suggestions about grunge. But not too much. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pm
Nitpicking of course....white speck top of left pillar, moon's edge a bit goofy between 2 and 3 o'clock, shadow seems like it should be more straight backwards than angled left......a fun image Mr. Chinn.

Thanks Frank, I'll make some of the corrections once I decide how far and where else I will be going with this.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 pm
davechinn wrote:

I am so glad when Frank shows up first to collect all the nits and then I don't have to worry about them (he's almost always right on the money).

Great fanciful composition with so many fun moving parts (the wizard is my favorite of course). Must more interesting than the super blue blood eclipse moon I saw this morning.

I would probably add a slightly grungy texture or even two over the top of this thing once it's finalized, to help pull all the parts together and add depth. Something blue-toned might be nice...

The wizard was my only choice for now, but would prefer something a little more dramatic. It hasn't come to me as of yet, but feel in time something will arise. Blue-toned would work and may lean in that direction, same with a grungy layer. Oh, so many things to consider. Thanks for the suggestions.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 pm

My eyes land dead center just under the arch then move to the moon and the 'pitchforks' below it. I'm back to the arch again and the metal plaque on the left now down to the gate and eventually to the wizard which I almost missed. Should he be bigger? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am
davechinn wrote:

Very interesting Dave and creative. What do you think about placing the wizard in the arch? Since you are the wizard here, you can do what you will. I agree with Minnie's suggestions about grunge. But not too much. Matt

Thanks Matt, at first I had placed him in the arch, but he just didn't appeal to me there. Not sure why, it seemed to be unnatural.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 pm
My eyes land dead center just under the arch then move to the moon and the 'pitchforks' below it. I'm back to the arch again and the metal plaque on the left now down to the gate and eventually to the wizard which I almost missed. Should he be bigger? S-

Yea, I suppose this one forces you to move about. I thought about placing the wizard at the arch but it wasn't appealing to me. I'm waiting until something better comes along. Where he's at now is kinda questionable and possibly needs to be slightly larger, because you and probably others almost missed him. This is still a process in the works. I'm just gathering ideas and suggestions as I move along. I agree with Minnie's suggested tip for a blue tone and I'll most likely lean in that direction.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:37 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm
Yea, I suppose this one forces you to move about. I thought about placing the wizard at the arch but it wasn't appealing to me. I'm waiting until something better comes along. Where he's at now is kinda questionable and possibly needs to be slightly larger, because you and probably others almost missed him. This is still a process in the works. I'm just gathering ideas and suggestions as I move along. I agree with Minnie's suggested tip for a blue tone and I'll most likely lean in that direction.
Dave
I'd like to see him larger, but now I wonder what it would look like without him? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"