― Artistic Expression CritiqueNon Standard Barn

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Non Standard Barn

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 pm

I wish this one were mine. It's on the country road between where I live and my new/old house. When Steve was here, we explored it, and befriended the owner, who says I can come back anytime. i mean to take him up on it. We don't have many nice barns in Mississippi. This is definitely artistic expression, one of several versions I've done up of this old structure.
Attachments
barn (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm

I like it! I have no way of knowing what the weather actually was, but looking at it I can "see" movement in the tree and the brush on the fence. I can "hear" wind moaning in the structure. The sun has broken through but may not stay long; the sky looks threatening, almost tornadic. This is one of those shots that might work in B&W but I think it really, really works in color, especially the subdued, almost monochromatic color you've managed here. I especially love the addition of texture in the sky, like blowing ash. Peaceful yet somehow foreboding. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm
I like it! I have no way of knowing what the weather actually was, but looking at it I can "see" movement in the tree and the brush on the fence. I can "hear" wind moaning in the structure. The sun has broken through but may not stay long; the sky looks threatening, almost tornadic. This is one of those shots that might work in B&W but I think it really, really works in color, especially the subdued, almost monochromatic color you've managed here. I especially love the addition of texture in the sky, like blowing ash. Peaceful yet somehow foreboding. :thumbup:
Thanks Chuck! It was a day with bulky clouds that never did anything but looked quite impressive, and some intermittent sunny patches in between as they scudded about. I am still experimenting with processes that combine digital painting and digital photos in non-standard ways that are somewhere in the purgatory between the two methods. I'm relieved that at least one person finds it has some interest! I'm definitely on a journey...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:59 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 pm
I wish this one were mine. It's on the country road between where I live and my new/old house. When Steve was here, we explored it, and befriended the owner, who says I can come back anytime. i mean to take him up on it. We don't have many nice barns in Mississippi. This is definitely artistic expression, one of several versions I've done up of this old structure.
Minnie, My reaction to the photo is a jumble; the green in the tree's leaves makes me feel the heat of mid-summer when leaves have suffered and surrender their fresh spring face. The barn offers shade but the shadows do not look cool. It makes me wonder why barns are red.

I like the composition; the massing clouds, the grandfather of a massive tree towering above the barn which sits snugly on the land. I don't think I would have attempted a photo, though; the scene doesn't call to me. Can't explain it. Mystery. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:59 am
minniev wrote:
Minnie, My reaction to the photo is a jumble; the green in the tree's leaves makes me feel the heat of mid-summer when leaves have suffered and surrender their fresh spring face. The barn offers shade but the shadows do not look cool. It makes me wonder why barns are red.

I like the composition; the massing clouds, the grandfather of a massive tree towering above the barn which sits snugly on the land. I don't think I would have attempted a photo, though; the scene doesn't call to me. Can't explain it. Mystery. Matt
Thanks for a thorough review and some interesting feedback! Mississippi seasons are strange - our grasses turn yellow in September, pretending autumn, but our other plants stay green until December, or sometimes till the fresh green stuff pushes the old out. Fall is hot, and often stormy.

I am not entirely satisfied with the angle either, so will stop by there again. I will have a chance to do it in all seasons.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm

the yellows and greens look fantastic with that red - I had heard long ago that red paint in general is cheaper than other colors (don't know if that is true or not).

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm
the yellows and greens look fantastic with that red - I had heard long ago that red paint in general is cheaper than other colors (don't know if that is true or not).
I don’t know why red either but will ask around.

Thanks, glad you like the colors. I muted them a bit in processing as part of chasing a painterly look.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:39 pm

minniev wrote:
It seems it was only yesterday we stopped along that country road, dogs a barkin their owner trailing close behind. I still remember that barn and wanting to get closer, but we were on our way to a magical place could only stay a while longer. Memories are a beautiful thing and even better when shared with a friend, but isn't that the same with life and the ones you love.

I pray everyone gets a chance to visit with you and The House. You are blessed to have so much to offer so close by!

I love the texture, it just works and I imagine a simple print would hang on their walls forever! Thank you for this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm
Why Are Barns Painted Red?
"Ever wonder why old barns are usually red in color? Red is (or, perhaps, was) a popular color for barns due not to its color shade but for its usefulness.

Many years ago, choices for paints, sealers and other building materials did not exist. Farmers had to be resourceful in finding or making a paint that would protect and seal the wood on their barns.

Hundreds of years ago, many farmers would seal their barns with linseed oil, which is an orange-colored oil derived from the seeds of the flax plant. To this oil, they would add a variety of things, most often milk and lime, but also ferrous oxide, or rust. Rust was plentiful on farms and because it killed fungi and mosses that might grow on barns, and it was very effective as a sealant. It turned the mixture red in color.

When paint became more available, many people chose red paint for their barns in honor of tradition."
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"