"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression Critique"Art" out of Ice?

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

"Art" out of Ice?

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Any thoughts are appreciated. These are tinkered with in toning, in filters, with texture, just to bring out what I saw in the ice. All of them are closeups but not really macro. And not done yet, still going through the stuff I got last week during the latest version of winter-geddon in Mississippi.
Attachments
galaxy (1 of 1).jpg
crunchy (1 of 1).jpg
ice (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Just my personal reactions:

1. Soothing cool, with stimulation from lines vs. circles + crackling textures. Holds my interest to check out all the complexities.

2. I like the idea a lot, but feel the size difference between background leaves and main subject is a bit dissonant - I guess I want my experience to be more about the delicate details of tiny.

3. A muddy messy puddle, no interest :rofl:
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 pm

3 catches my interest in that it looks like a high up view of terrain with a road around it. 1 looks like moons and a nebula, and on two I want to see up close the crystal clear ice crystals that surround the leaf.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:54 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm
Any thoughts are appreciated. These are tinkered with in toning, in filters, with texture, just to bring out what I saw in the ice. All of them are closeups but not really macro. And not done yet, still going through the stuff I got last week during the latest version of winter-geddon in Mississippi.
Minnie:

#1, Didn't realize MS had that many moons. Is that where moonshine comes from?

#2, Sugar frosted shamrocks.

#3, Elsie, the Borden Cow. getting a mudpie beauty treatment.

Really like 1 as you have it.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm
Just my personal reactions:

1. Soothing cool, with stimulation from lines vs. circles + crackling textures. Holds my interest to check out all the complexities.

2. I like the idea a lot, but feel the size difference between background leaves and main subject is a bit dissonant - I guess I want my experience to be more about the delicate details of tiny.

3. A muddy messy puddle, no interest :rofl:
Thanks for your thoughts!

The second one was shot straight down, which accounts for the size difference. Then I made it worse with blur and texture layers :D One never knows...

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 pm
3 catches my interest in that it looks like a high up view of terrain with a road around it. 1 looks like moons and a nebula, and on two I want to see up close the crystal clear ice crystals that surround the leaf.
My fixation with shooting off the bridge straight down on the ice...

Thanks Piet. I thought of a galactic shot on #1 as well.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:54 am
minniev wrote:
Minnie:

#1, Didn't realize MS had that many moons. Is that where moonshine comes from?

#2, Sugar frosted shamrocks.

#3, Elsie, the Borden Cow. getting a mudpie beauty treatment.

Really like 1 as you have it.

Matt
Thank you Matt. Your creative thought process is always so fun to get a glimpse of.

#1 was space photography in ice, glad you saw it too!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

#1. "Music of the Spheres" (my personal favorite)
#2. Someone said something about Sugar Frosted (and I personally would not crop a thing, all subjective of course)
#3. An interesting abstract, but maybe a fossil trilobite or horseshoe crab...

Very generally I do not need to know or try to imagine the source, the original inspiration for an abstract, to thoroughly enjoy it. I would have NO clue what #1 was but I loved it on sight, and the very first thing that popped into my head was "Music of the Spheres," not necessarily the elegant 1868 waltz composed by Josef Strauss, but certainly the concept of Musica universalis, Music of the spheres or Harmony of the Spheres, a philosophy that ascribes music in the movements of celestial bodies. They didn't mean literal music but isn't it wonderfully ironic that since radiotelescopes we know that space is filled to overflowing with "music." I think you could sell that picture! (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm
#1. "Music of the Spheres" (my personal favorite)
#2. Someone said something about Sugar Frosted (and I personally would not crop a thing, all subjective of course)
#3. An interesting abstract, but maybe a fossil trilobite or horseshoe crab...

Very generally I do not need to know or try to imagine the source, the original inspiration for an abstract, to thoroughly enjoy it. I would have NO clue what #1 was but I loved it on sight, and the very first thing that popped into my head was "Music of the Spheres," not necessarily the elegant 1868 waltz composed by Josef Strauss, but certainly the concept of Musica universalis, Music of the spheres or Harmony of the Spheres, a philosophy that ascribes music in the movements of celestial bodies. They didn't mean literal music but isn't it wonderfully ironic that since radiotelescopes we know that space is filled to overflowing with "music." I think you could sell that picture! (Y)
That last one reminded me of a trilobite too, which made me wonder if trilobites and ice are subject to the same forces dictating form and structure.

The first one, which seemed quite galactic to me too, was those confounding circles of ice that appeared in the swamp, against the base layer of blue ice with the shadows of the trees forming the black lines. These too are forms that that follow ancient patterns - maps of river systems look the same as maps of blood vessels, suns and moons and ice circles and many living cells all opt for spherical shapes. There is a book of patterns somewhere that guides all this, and we simply discover it.

And yes, there is always music.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 am

minniev wrote:
My initial reactions are; fantasy moons, Oh I Love This One, and someone finally got a picture of Pangea!

I really love the second, but wonder if you're getting close enough. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"