The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Artistic Expression CritiquePulling depth out of 2D Graphics:

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Pulling depth out of 2D Graphics:

Post by uuglypher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Pulling depth out of 2D Graphics:

I find it interesting how even 2D graphic artworks can supply monocular depth cues to depth perception that can be utilized to produce stereo image pairs. Here are a couple of examples.

Your comments and critiques are requested.

Dave
69DC59D2-9DC0-4B84-9D35-943C504B4EA6.png
A8B984A6-C3D9-4412-B724-5EFD230DD1AC.png

mcveed
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by mcveed » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:15 am

Hi Dave,
Yes there is a 3D effect on the monochrome artwork. But effect is much stronger with the colour painting.
Don

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm

I agree with Don, stronger in the second image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi, Don and Min,
Thank you for viewing these two examples and for your comments.
I has thought that the Harnett still life had a bit stronger 3D effect, and it is most reassuring to find that others reached the same conclusion.

Again, many thanks.

Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:55 am

mcveed wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:15 am
Hi Dave,
Yes there is a 3D effect on the monochrome artwork. But effect is much stronger with the colour painting.
Don
Now we need to figure out why! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 am

Steve asks: why does the color still life by Harnett yield a better 3D effect than the seascape etching as noticed and mentioned by Don McVee?

Likely for a several reasons unrelated to color vs. monochrome.

The seascape rendering was accomplished via a relatively distant view by the artist that I perceive as having been perceived and rendered by the artist much like a scene photographed with a normal lens.

Harnett’s still-life was apparently perceived and rendered from a much closer distance, and the the items in the still life, although aggregately more mutually proximate than are the various subjects in the landscape, are more sharply differentiated in depth as if viewed by a lens of shorter focal length (a lens of wider angle of acceptance) that typically accentuates/ exaggerates depth differences. The strong contribution of linear perspective in Harnett’s painting is, I think, another significant factor in the difference in 3D effects yielded by the two very different images.

Another factor contributing to the difference in the 3D effect of the two images is that the seascape view of St. Michaels was converted using a straight, foreground to infinity depth recession of moderate strength, while in the case of Harnett’s still-life I imposed a strong NW depth recession (from lower right toward upper left).

I’ve encountered some art historians and critics who sub-categorize graphic artists as those habitually looking through a long lens, a normal lens, or a wide-angle lens. Indeed, it has been suggested that El Greco, by the proportions of his subjects, was severely astigmatic (...and others argue that the elongated nature of his subjects was merely his creative “schtick”).

I have found that close views made with macro or reversed normal lenses or cropped from an image shot with a wide-angle lens usually render stronger 3D conversions than do close views cropped from a full frame shot with a normal or longer lens.

It is also interesting (perhaps only to me...??) that the characteristic strong compression of depth imposed by long lenses can, in some compositions, be relieved of the expected severe foreshortening by imposing a strongly horizontal depth recession by exaggeration of the monocular depth cues basic to several of my techniques of 3D conversion.

No two images considered for 3D conversion present the same opportunities for success nor the same challenges that may confound successful conversion.

Thanks much, Don and Steve, for stimulating this discussion; it has called my attention to the need to extend more critically a few avenues of reason and thought that I had not heretofore begun to adequately refine. Your observations and questions have been most helpful.

With sincere thanks,
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 am
Thanks much, Don and Steve, for stimulating this discussion; it has called my attention to the need to extend more critically a few avenues of reason and thought that I had not heretofore begun to adequately refine. Your observations and questions have been most helpful.

With sincere thanks,
Dave
That was really helpful and fun to read through. Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"