• Administrator
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

― Artistic Expression CritiqueAbout That Moon...

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

About That Moon...

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:00 pm

OK so I admit rborud and Duck and Linda influenced me on this.

Here is the regular shot and the contrived one with a close up moon brought into the scene to replace the tiny version it came with.

Tell me what to do next. I can move the big moon around, shrink it, enlarge it, make it higher in the sky or peeping over the horizon. It was fun to play with, if nothing else.

(Note to those following the error issue: the second one has surely been through PS and has come back out via LR, with exactly the same settings I always use, and no problem with posting.
Attachments
birds (1 of 1).jpg
moon (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Oooh, made-to-order sandwiches! How about just the top 1/3 of the moon peeking over the trees? btw, I LOVE LOVE your original. You have that flock well trained!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:48 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:21 pm
Oooh, made-to-order sandwiches! How about just the top 1/3 of the moon peeking over the trees? btw, I LOVE LOVE your original. You have that flock well trained!
Your comment made me smile!

I’ll try dragging the moon down to and see how that does.
I had fun the morning the starlings came through, though few good pictures. Miles and miles of starlings. They didn’t make any formations, just long strings of thousands of birds.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 am

I wondered what would happen if I merged one of my moons shots like a texture, as I did with a series recently. So here it is! My shot was taken from my balcony last week (prior to Chuck's suggestion I use a wider aperture when shooting "distant" objects - lol), the only 10-minute window I saw the full moon in two days. I used overlay blend mode, stretched mine over yours and didn't even mask anything :D (I did brighten the moon and it looks like could use a more tweaking with the color and the clouds that are in front of it)

One more thought: it seems to me that when a super-sharp, detailed moon is added to an existing image, it emphasizes the fact that it's "pasted in" and doesn't fit as part of an overall mood or theme, especially in a landscape. I'm sure there are exceptions, of course, but something to consider?
Attachments
222birds (1 of 1)1.jpg
222birds (1 of 1)1.jpg (194.53 KiB) Viewed 84 times
1 PC310141.jpg
1 PC310141.jpg (172.33 KiB) Viewed 84 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 am
I wondered what would happen if I merged one of my moons shots like a texture, as I did with a series recently. So here it is! My shot was taken from my balcony last week (prior to Chuck's suggestion I use a wider aperture when shooting "distant" objects - lol), the only 10-minute window I saw the full moon in two days. I used overlay blend mode, stretched mine over yours and didn't even mask anything :D (I did brighten the moon and it looks like could use a more tweaking with the color and the clouds that are in front of it)

One more thought: it seems to me that when a super-sharp, detailed moon is added to an existing image, it emphasizes the fact that it's "pasted in" and doesn't fit as part of an overall mood or theme, especially in a landscape. I'm sure there are exceptions, of course, but something to consider?
I agree with your thoughts about blending and I really like what you did here. I have other moons that might work better too.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm

You're all doing great! Keep it up! Linda, I agree, "...when a super-sharp, detailed moon is added to an existing image, it emphasizes the fact that it's "pasted in" and doesn't fit." It's not a deal-breaker, but for me your first BigMoon I felt was maybe overmuch. I liked the positioning (though maybe a little lower mo'betta) but the overall sharpness I found jarring. Just a purely subjective reaction to that specific rendering. I like the concept! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:05 pm

what Chuck said.. Linda, I like your edit very much, the flow of the clouds and the placement of the moon fits in very nicely with the "stream" of birds. It works!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 am
I like the softer moon and agree that super-sharp makes it look pasted in. Wonderful discussion! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"