― Artistic Expression CritiqueCedar waxwing in snow

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Cedar waxwing in snow

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm

A Canadian buddy sent me a night shot of snowfall. I used as texture, along with other edits, to create this. Please let me know your thoughts (such as, why does it look sunny if snowing - ha) :D

Suggestions and edits are welcomed.
Attachments
1 1 PC030171-1.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:27 pm

I think this is a good use of texture, but if there is an issue, it is what you said. I feel that the warm and cooler colors are in conflict. It sets the bird off, but.. I like that the colors are muted, but have mixed feelings about the contrast given - I keep going back and forth, I like it, then I don't like it, then I like it again. This back and forth is interesting to me, I don't understand it.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm
A Canadian buddy sent me a night shot of snowfall. I used as texture, along with other edits, to create this. Please let me know your thoughts (such as, why does it look sunny if snowing - ha) :D

I like the way the texture layer worked, but have a little believability issue with the rich golden browns vs the snowy environment and contrasty shadow. Of course I am not one who needs believability in order to like something, so there's that. I do like it, and I want to play with it when I get a little time but I'm betting I'm gonna come back preferring this artistic version.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:22 am

Am I the only one who's been in the snow when the sun breaks through?

I am curious how it would look if it were made cooler though? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 am

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:22 am
Am I the only one who's been in the snow when the sun breaks through?

I am curious how it would look if it were made cooler though? S-
I've seen the sun break through in lots of snowstorms, plus I have experienced thundersnow, rather often actually. I like the picture fine, but I agree with the consensus that the bird maybe should be cooled off, or even convert that layer to B&W. The contrast I think is fine; I do think there is a little disconnect in the warmth of the bird, but it's arguable that the warmth emphasizes the sun-breaking-through aspect. As we all know it's all subjective; if I had made it I'd probably convert but hey, I din't make it! :D Maaaaaybe there's dissonance is that they are migratory, moving southerly to escape snow, but they have a large "southern" range extending up even into Nebraska (where it is currently bitterly cold with snow), and even migratory birds can get caught in snow.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you all for your very thoughtful and helpful feedback! Here is one where I merely removed the top layer, which was something like "vintage color." But I forgot to do whatever needed to keep the snow on the bird. Blend modes can be complex sometimes :| Maybe later on I'll post a warm and a cool side by side for easier comparison.

Chuck, our cedar waxwings - like our robins - come to my ornamental fruit tree (and those in the rest of my apartment complex) every fall and winter, and I've photographed them when there was snow on my tree a couple of times. As if they weren't gorgeous enough all on their own! (#2 below from December 2015)
Attachments
1 PC030171-3.jpg
older0474_fr.jpg
DECEMBER 2015
older0474_fr.jpg (264.72 KiB) Viewed 303 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm

I think the snow textured layer works very well here Linda. I have seen the sunlight while snowing, such as a rainbow and still raining !!! This is well processed and qualifies to be on a wall somewhere.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 pm
Thank you all for your very thoughtful and helpful feedback! Here is one where I merely removed the top layer, which was something like "vintage color." But I forgot to do whatever needed to keep the snow on the bird. Blend modes can be complex sometimes :| Maybe later on I'll post a warm and a cool side by side for easier comparison.

Chuck, our cedar waxwings - like our robins - come to my ornamental fruit tree (and those in the rest of my apartment complex) every fall and winter, and I've photographed them when there was snow on my tree a couple of times. As if they weren't gorgeous enough all on their own! (#2 below from December 2015)
I like this cooler version and it's new mate very very much. They a beautiful set to show as a pair, but if you applied the snow texture to the older picture and got them color matched, they'd be interesting in a smaller window frame display. A permanent window into winter.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:29 pm
I think the snow textured layer works very well here Linda. I have seen the sunlight while snowing, such as a rainbow and still raining !!! This is well processed and qualifies to be on a wall somewhere.
Dave
Thanks so much, Dave. Very glad you enjoyed!
minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm
I like this cooler version and it's new mate very very much. They a beautiful set to show as a pair, but if you applied the snow texture to the older picture and got them color matched, they'd be interesting in a smaller window frame display. A permanent window into winter.
Thanks for the intriguing suggestion, Minnie! Always grateful for your keen eye and thoughtful feedback.