"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Artistic Expression CritiqueChallenging Perspective

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Challenging Perspective

Post by uuglypher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Challenging Perspective

Almost every spatial illusion involves challenging conventional perspective. I say “Almost every...” because although I cannot think of an exception to my premise, there just might be one...or some...?)

Here is an illusion I constructed in 2D- the single large image - and then compounded - hoping to confound rational resolution even further - by rendering the 2D illusion within a 3D environment for viewing by stereopsis. The stereo quad set is arranged with the top pair for parallel gaze and the bottom pair for crossed gaze (all 3D perceptions also being illusory)

Have fun with the illusions and, if so inclined, disputing my premises of this presentation...

If not familiar with viewing stereo image pairs, see my tutorial on viewing 3D image pairs in the Tutorial Section. Image

Dave
Attachments
AEFEA82C-6465-4B8C-8E90-337474B22CED.png
9609B2F8-2C37-4315-92E1-19887A0A1803.png

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 am

uuglypher wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm
Challenging Perspective

Almost every spatial illusion involves challenging conventional perspective. I say “Almost every...” because although I cannot think of an exception to my premise, there just might be one...or some...?)

Here is an illusion I constructed in 2D- the single large image - and then compounded - hoping to confound rational resolution even further - by rendering the 2D illusion within a 3D environment for viewing by stereopsis. The stereo quad set is arranged with the top pair for parallel gaze and the bottom pair for crossed gaze (all 3D perceptions also being illusory)

Have fun with the illusions and, if so inclined, disputing my premises of this presentation...

If not familiar with viewing stereo image pairs, see my tutorial on viewing 3D image pairs in the Tutorial Section. Image

Dave
I know you're aware I have trouble seeing the stereo pairs, but i wanted to let you know what an intriguing image you've created. It is confounding to look at even without the stereo effect. My eyes can't figure out where to begin to decipher it. Interesting.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi, Min,
I’m glad you viewed the single 2D illusion. Having long been an admirer of M.E.Escher’s works, I constructed the 2D illusion inspired by and admittedly derivative of Escher’s incredible illusory art.
Then, to add illusion to illusion, I performed 2D-to-3D conversion using the monocular depth cues of the original 2D image to build on the fact that every “3D” image we see is, in fact, an illusion constructed by our brain from two 2D retinal images.

I am hoping that those able to view the “stereo quad” with either of the two methods of accomplishing stereopsis ( parallel gaze or crossed gaze) will appreciate the illusion of my original 2D illusion through the added illusion of 3D conversion... and will let me know their opinions of the effect.

Thanks, Min, for looking and commenting.

Best regards,
Dave