― Artistic Expression CritiqueSelfie a la Deep Dream

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Selfie a la Deep Dream

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:35 am

A previous post by Minnie where she referenced Google's Deep Dream project got me curious about what that was. I did some reading, looked at some awesome images and signed up. Here's my first attempt at using their online image manipulation tool using two very different images (my portrait and stained glass windows at my local library, both posted earlier).
Duck_selfie_Deep_Dream.jpg
Duck_selfie_Deep_Dream.jpg (194.11 KiB) Viewed 370 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:12 pm

A Deep Dream Duck! Love it! You’ve already figured out more than I did.

I admit to squandering time I should have spent working on playing in Deep Dream but it is addictively entertaining. Give me Deep Dream over Candy Crush any time!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Oh wow, very cool. I missed Minnie's original reference, so will go track that down and see if I can play too :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I like it very much! Very imaginative! Very cool! An example of how uberkewl some of these tools can be (thinking about Minnie's renderings). The thing is, as discussed, many if not most of us simply cannot achieve anything approaching artistic expression without these tools. We lack the talent, imagination, and most of all the skill. I photograph because I can neither draw nor paint. In that sense the camera is for me a crutch! These astounding new tools permit a level of expression with at least the illusion of competence previously impossible. :yay: Vive l'illusion!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:35 am
A previous post by Minnie where she referenced Google's Deep Dream project got me curious about what that was. I did some reading, looked at some awesome images and signed up. Here's my first attempt at using their online image manipulation tool using two very different images (my portrait and stained glass windows at my local library, both posted earlier).

Cool image !!! To me, it has a steampunk look/feel to it.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 am

Duck wrote:

"I'll Be Back!" S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:35 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:56 pm
Oh wow, very cool. I missed Minnie's original reference, so will go track that down and see if I can play too :)
Deep Dream Generator
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 am

Duck wrote:

I got to get this. As Chuck noted, if you can neither draw nor paint, go techy.

Oddly, Duck, this splintering effect has some quirky, eerie effects; e.g., your ears are at different levels and the eyeglasses sidebars (I am sure they have a real name, but this will do) move in different directions. I feel forced to notice these details, somehow. But I will try it. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 am
Duck wrote:

I got to get this. As Chuck noted, if you can neither draw nor paint, go techy.

Oddly, Duck, this splintering effect has some quirky, eerie effects; e.g., your ears are at different levels and the eyeglasses sidebars (I am sure they have a real name, but this will do) move in different directions. I feel forced to notice these details, somehow. But I will try it. Matt
Duck, I went to the site and played with an image for fun. Bizarro stuff but fun. Do I understand it correctly; you can't download the app, you have to submit your image to the generator, wait in queue, and then rejoice or cry at the result?

When you have a moment, I need your help posting; I apparently have screwed up my export page and can't get anything to go anywhere. These are the dangers of knowing a little but not enough. Thanks.
Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:44 pm

Cool image, Duck!
I agree with Dave C. about the suggestion of “steam punk” influence!
I was struck by that the moment I saw the image.

Dave