"Whatever you do, be so good they can't ignore you." —Candy Crowley

― Artistic Expression CritiqueWhat to do with the moon?

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

What to do with the moon?

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm

My hope for a moonset at sunrise photo op was again thwarted when the full moon disappeared behind pink clouds well above the horizon line for the second month in a row. So I used my only shot from December to create these composites.

btw, one benefit to going out for a sunrise/moonset opportunity is then you are... out at sunrise! :)

QUESTION: I used my original shot in a "texture" manner, laying the entire image over previously edited shots and then stretching as needed, then using different blend modes and other edits. Is there a way to change the size of the moon when doing this way, or would I need to insert the moon itself separately? I'm having a brain cramp.

Your time and feedback are much appreciated.
Attachments
1 P1040714 w moon desat.jpg
1 P1040714 w moon desat.jpg (430.94 KiB) Viewed 317 times
1 P1040493 w moon.jpg
1 P1040493 w moon.jpg (461.73 KiB) Viewed 317 times
1 P1030927 w moon.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Well used and seen.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Without knowing the specifics of the original moon shot I can offer up one suggestion. If the moon is bright in a black sky you can resize and place the moon wherever you need it and use a "Blend if" function to remove the black sky and keep the moon. Depending on the background image, you may even be able to use it to blend the moon itself with any dark foreground elements. But this is very dependent on the luminosity range in the area where the moon is being placed. If there is not enough contrast you may need to resort to just using a layer mask.

Here is a great video that explains how to use the "Blend if" function in PhotoShop;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQtyDFMBDU
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Ernst, thank you for commenting!

Duck, thanks so much for the link. PS Elements doesn't have that tool but I found a video that was supposed to show you how to achieve same result. Boy howdy, some people should never be allowed to make videos - ha!

He spent the first two minutes telling how PS does it, and kept referring to PS's steps, and then when he got to the meat of the instruction for Elements users, he RACED through the steps.

At any rate, I've concluded it will be a lot easier for me to just do a standard insertion of a moon and re-size if I want. I understand layers, layer masks and blend modes. With the images in this thread I was including the entire file more as a texture, and was really enjoying the blends I got from the colors, as well as a grayscale version I used for #3.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 am

LindaShorey wrote:My hope for a moonset at sunrise photo op was again thwarted when the full moon disappeared behind pink clouds well above the horizon line for the second month in a row. So I used my only shot from December to create these composites.

btw, one benefit to going out for a sunrise/moonset opportunity is then you are... out at sunrise! :)

QUESTION: I used my original shot in a "texture" manner, laying the entire image over previously edited shots and then stretching as needed, then using different blend modes and other edits. Is there a way to change the size of the moon when doing this way, or would I need to insert the moon itself separately? I'm having a brain cramp.

Your time and feedback are much appreciated.

Linda, I like what you have done here. All three are appealing, but it sounds as though you are not 100% satisfied?

If that full moon had not slipped behind the pink clouds makes me wonder what would have been posted here instead. Things happen for a reason and maybe your efforts here were for you to advance your skills as a photographer and artist. Sounds deep, huh? Just something to be aware of, maybe? I'm no longer familiar with Elements, haven't used it since 6, if it works for you then thats all that matters, but it has its limitations compared to PS. I'm sure you are aware of that. Compositing can be a lot of fun and the more we do it the better we get. I'm not sure just how far you want to go with it. I don't know, just rambling on here, but I do like what you have done here with these 3 images.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm

davechinn wrote:Linda, I like what you have done here. All three are appealing, but it sounds as though you are not 100% satisfied?

If that full moon had not slipped behind the pink clouds makes me wonder what would have been posted here instead. Things happen for a reason and maybe your efforts here were for you to advance your skills as a photographer and artist. Sounds deep, huh? Just something to be aware of, maybe? I'm no longer familiar with Elements, haven't used it since 6, if it works for you then thats all that matters, but it has its limitations compared to PS. I'm sure you are aware of that. Compositing can be a lot of fun and the more we do it the better we get. I'm not sure just how far you want to go with it. I don't know, just rambling on here, but I do like what you have done here with these 3 images.
Dave

Thanks so much for your time and interest, Dave. I did about seven different images using the same moon - some I like more than others. I think the best learning was comparing the results as far as whether the moon added anything to the compositions or not. I also learned a little that I can explore further about file size, stretching and such vs. a single inserted element. I'm not ready to tackle the full PS, may never be, but I'm not ready to say never for certain :) Much appreciated!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Can't answer your question as I am not familiar with your software Linda but all three images are wonderfully done in my opinion.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Can't answer your question as I am not familiar with your software Linda but all three images are wonderfully done in my opinion.

Thanks so much, Frank! I might do a digital editing topic later on, to ask about basic resizing of overlaid images. I think there are some points that would be generic that I could ask, once I figure out what it is I'm actually having an issue with :)

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Sounds bout like what I do (stretch or shrink, drag around).

Like them all but the first is a favorite with those overlapping lines and rows of birds, against that rich blue background.

I am going to have to experiment with Duck's suggestion. Frank has tried to teach me this but I'm a little dense with some of these PS procedures. Practice, practice...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

minniev wrote:Sounds bout like what I do (stretch or shrink, drag around).

Like them all but the first is a favorite with those overlapping lines and rows of birds, against that rich blue background.

I am going to have to experiment with Duck's suggestion. Frank has tried to teach me this but I'm a little dense with some of these PS procedures. Practice, practice...

Thank you Minnie!

The Blend-if tool appears to be for keeping one element of a layer in the image while removing the surroundings (keep moon, remove black sky). That wasn't my intent here, and I apologize for not being clear (I do that a lot, lol).

So I've been doing some more tests, and in the process, discovered I had a more distant moon shot I'd forgotten I took that same morning. In the below image, I removed the color, flipped it both horizontally and vertically, paid attention to pixel width of both the moon image and the "base" (the farm scene), and got it inserted where I wanted and at the size moon I wanted - and which uses the surrounding thin clouds of the moon shot as part of a texture.

I'm also going to include the closer moon image I used with the earlier shots (though the birds on wire also has a texture and the reeds have the moon desaturated. Note you can see the color that was in the real moon shot from the sunrise behind me, and that translated to more vivid with the texture file I overlayed to it for the birds.)

Many thanks to all!
Attachments
1 P1040493 w moon diff.jpg
1 P1040493 w moon diff.jpg (169.96 KiB) Viewed 273 times
1 PC040014 real.jpg
1 PC040014 real.jpg (138.34 KiB) Viewed 273 times