"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression Critique'Smiling Faces'

Post Reply
User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

'Smiling Faces'

Post by davechinn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Once I saw the expressed look, I knew I had to quickly capture this before it was gone. I decided to do a composite for more impact than from the original. I have used this background on previous images, while it works with some subjects, not so on others. This one does seem to work, but I'm always up for opinions and suggestions.
Attachments
Smiling Faces DEC_4081 #2w.jpg
'Smiling Faces'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Background works well here Mr. Chinn even with the very slight magenta cast in the whiter areas of the clouds.....

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 am

davechinn wrote:Once I saw the expressed look, I knew I had to quickly capture this before it was gone. I decided to do a composite for more impact than from the original. I have used this background on previous images, while it works with some subjects, not so on others. This one does seem to work, but I'm always up for opinions and suggestions.


Makes me smile to see him smile! The background is very nice, but I would knock back the pink/purple tone if it were mine. That's just my own preference, I am not a pink/purple kinda gal.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Background works well here Mr. Chinn even with the very slight magenta cast in the whiter areas of the clouds.....


Thanks Frank !!! Actually, the magenta was unintentional and went unnoticed. How? No idea, but it did. Thanks for raising the awareness of my subconscious.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:Once I saw the expressed look, I knew I had to quickly capture this before it was gone. I decided to do a composite for more impact than from the original. I have used this background on previous images, while it works with some subjects, not so on others. This one does seem to work, but I'm always up for opinions and suggestions.


Makes me smile to see him smile! The background is very nice, but I would knock back the pink/purple tone if it were mine. That's just my own preference, I am not a pink/purple kinda gal.


Thanks Minnie !!! I appreciate your opinion and agree. See my explanation to Frank. I have made the correction and agree, much better. Makes me smile as well, I have never seen a horse with an expression such as this. Although, I do believe it may have been forced by the person/trainer walking with the horse. Posted is the revised version and the original for comparison.
Dave
Attachments
Smiling Faces DEC_4081 #2w.jpg
'Smiling Faces' (revised)
DEC_4081w.jpg
'Smiling Faces' (original)
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm

This is growing on me :) Especially the new toning.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:07 am

LindaShorey wrote:This is growing on me :) Especially the new toning.


Thanks for commenting Linda, much appreciated.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4295
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:16 am

The slightest of blur and the magenta tone had me thinking of horses flying across the sky in some sort of mythology or another.

I love it and am torn between the two, the first because of the symbology and the second for its classic look. Well done and thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

St3v3M wrote:The slightest of blur and the magenta tone had me thinking of horses flying across the sky in some sort of mythology or another.

I love it and am torn between the two, the first because of the symbology and the second for its classic look. Well done and thank you! S-


Thanks Steve !!! My issue as well, so indecisive with too many choices.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest