Page 1 of 4

Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:08 pm
by LindaShorey
A ton of tiny birds on hops field wires - Impact? None, some? Why/why not? Use of playful pp (the background) - does it seem appropriate, give you a sense of "something?" Whether whimsical, warm, confounding, boring, too unskilled/amateurish (especially compared to most posted to this category!)? Please tell me your thoughts :)

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 pm
by Psjunkie
I like the whole ball of wax in number one...the color and pp work very well. I'm on the fence with #2 and keep finding myself wondering what a more traditional image might look like......hope that doesn't guide you too confusingly........

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm
by minniev
LindaShorey wrote:A ton of tiny birds on hops field wires - Impact? None, some? Why/why not? Use of playful pp (the background) - does it seem appropriate, give you a sense of "something?" Whether whimsical, warm, confounding, boring, too unskilled/amateurish (especially compared to most posted to this category!)? Please tell me your thoughts :)

I absolutely love the first one, I think you managed it marvelously. It looks a step beyond reality but in a good way, fanciful and engaging. You used the texture well for balance and interest. The second one is nice, but not as impactful to me as the first. Love your hops field series, it reminds me of my dam birds - a manmade environment that isn't beautiful on its own by any stretch of the imagination, but your compositions have made it so in our eyes, with a little help from your feathered friends. It is our own eyes that find that hidden beauty and bring it to others. I takes a little bit more eye for hops fields and dams than it does for Delicate Arch, but it is more rewarding for me to find the hidden beauty than the obvious kind, and I suspect it's that for you too.

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:35 pm
by LindaShorey
Psjunkie wrote:I like the whole ball of wax in number one...the color and pp work very well. I'm on the fence with #2 and keep finding myself wondering what a more traditional image might look like......hope that doesn't guide you too confusingly........
Thank you, Frank! I wonder if your wondering has to do with the appeal of the subject/composition, and perhaps it doesn't take fanciful far enough. Here is a more straight forward processing (and uncropped, or less cropped) for your comparison. If you are interested in doing some playful pp to it, I'd be quite happy to see :)

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:42 pm
by LindaShorey
minniev wrote:I absolutely love the first one, I think you managed it marvelously. It looks a step beyond reality but in a good way, fanciful and engaging. You used the texture well for balance and interest. The second one is nice, but not as impactful to me as the first. Love your hops field series, it reminds me of my dam birds - a manmade environment that isn't beautiful on its own by any stretch of the imagination, but your compositions have made it so in our eyes, with a little help from your feathered friends. It is our own eyes that find that hidden beauty and bring it to others. I takes a little bit more eye for hops fields and dams than it does for Delicate Arch, but it is more rewarding for me to find the hidden beauty than the obvious kind, and I suspect it's that for you too.


I think "fanciful" definitely needs to be obvious, but "in a good way" as you say. It can be a challenge to get the right recipe, and of course varies with each subject, but sure is fun to try. I very much appreciate your viewpoint and your guidance with all that!

It's very generous of you to compare my history with hops against your masterful dam birds, and I thank you so much, Minnie. But to the general point of finding the reward in the less obvious, I agree wholeheartedly. That is possibly the biggest change in my growth this past year: moving away from the low-hanging fruit such as Mount Rainier :D to look for the less traveled road. I recently decided to check in with the fred miranda website again, and those "less obvious" images are the ones that engage me the most.

As I mentioned in one of Ernst's topics, the chair on the boat, and as I have mentioned to you also, having that "eye" to compose from the simple things people overlook...that's the greatest inspiration and reward.

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:39 pm
by RBorud
Linda
Another possibility, is to do some clever cloning and easure and rearrange some of the birds to resemble the first line of the piano score of Beethovens third symphony. It is quite effective hidden amongst the birds as a double entendre. Just a thought. RBorud

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 pm
by LindaShorey
RBorud wrote:Linda
Another possibility, is to do some clever cloning and easure and rearrange some of the birds to resemble the first line of the piano score of Beethovens third symphony. It is quite effective hidden amongst the birds as a double entendre. Just a thought. RBorud


Thank you, R. That is a very creative idea; I love it! I'll try it tomorrow and let you know when I've posted. Your time and interest are much appreciated.

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:05 pm
by davechinn
LindaShorey wrote:A ton of tiny birds on hops field wires - Impact? None, some? Why/why not? Use of playful pp (the background) - does it seem appropriate, give you a sense of "something?" Whether whimsical, warm, confounding, boring, too unskilled/amateurish (especially compared to most posted to this category!)? Please tell me your thoughts :)


Love both Linda, but the first one hold my attention more. The color tones are much deeper and richer for me. If the textured layer for your background is a simulation of the moon or sun, you have done a great job. It does appears to be multiple and gives me a feeling of being on another planet, like something out of Star Wars with multiple moons.
Dave

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:42 pm
by LindaShorey
davechinn wrote:Love both Linda, but the first one hold my attention more. The color tones are much deeper and richer for me. If the textured layer for your background is a simulation of the moon or sun, you have done a great job. It does appears to be multiple and gives me a feeling of being on another planet, like something out of Star Wars with multiple moons.
Dave


Love your Star Wars reference, Dave! Thanks so much for commenting. Below is the image used in the background on both (different orientations and stretches). I was trying to focus on some backlit raindrops on leaves and berries (sun came out when raining), the tree beside my balcony. As the camera struggled to focus, I caught this cool looking view so went to manual focus and took this shot for possible future use as texture!

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:02 am
by minniev
RBorud wrote:Linda
Another possibility, is to do some clever cloning and easure and rearrange some of the birds to resemble the first line of the piano score of Beethovens third symphony. It is quite effective hidden amongst the birds as a double entendre. Just a thought. RBorud

That is an amazing idea. Some of us have always seen Linda's bird-and-hops pictures as music scores but never thought to plant real music in them. Even the idea of it gives me a bit of a thrill, thank you for offering a marvelously creative concept.