"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Artistic Expression CritiqueLooking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I knew I had seen it somewhere! Someone has actually made a composition from birds on a wire! And it's lovely! (Y)
Fantastic!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Duck wrote:...Or is it "artistic license"? ...
Your feedback is never dull, Duck! :thumbup: I posted the photos to "Artistic Expressions," so I just ASSumed people would know I was working outside reality :)

But to a more serious point, I've had times where people, those not so into the playful aspects of pp, mis-understood my intent. And that's where I sometimes struggle: to make sure the fantasy is understood as fantasy and not a cheatin' lie (rotfl).
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I posted the photos to "Artistic Expressions," so I just ASSumed people would know I was working outside reality :)

Here, yes, but remember that labels are often very temporary and never travel with an image. If this image was seen in another context, without a reference to its intent... We can never forget that once an image is released it takes a life of its own. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Duck wrote:Here, yes, but remember that labels are often very temporary and never travel with an image. If this image was seen in another context, without a reference to its intent... We can never forget that once an image is released it takes a life of its own. ;)

Good point. I found one of mine on someone else's Facebook page a few years ago, and thirteen of us from the "other" site had our photos for sale on Fine Art America (and we weren't the sellers - ha), and one other time one of mine + a buddy's were re-worked in PS and posted to an online contest. It's a scary world out there...

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:32 pm

minniev wrote:... It is our own eyes that find that hidden beauty and bring it to others. ...

Say it again and again until everyone knows! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:42 pm

LindaShorey wrote:... Please tell me your thoughts :)

The first reminds me of sheet music and I love it. The second not so much, it's too confusing, there's no main character so I keep waiting for the show to start.

Was the background added, or enhanced? How do you see it changing the storyline? Do you think it works? S-

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:24 pm

St3v3M wrote:The first reminds me of sheet music and I love it. The second not so much, it's too confusing, there's no main character so I keep waiting for the show to start.

Was the background added, or enhanced? How do you see it changing the storyline? Do you think it works? S-
Thanks for commenting, Steve! On page 1 is an uncropped view of photo #2 without the background + further down the page is the file I used for the effect (an out of focus shot of rain drops on sunlit branches, shooting towards the sun).

I am frequently attracted to "birds on wires" (or dead trees) for their silhouettes and the sweeping lines (wires) contrasted against vertical poles, such as telephone poles. I don't know the best term to use, perhaps "graphical?"

https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... otographs/

With the hops growing apparatus I think the fiber knots on the wires add an unexpected element of interest to the standard "birds on wires." I also like the repetition of poles as they recede in a line.

So while the straight shots are visually busy and mostly about lines, textures and geometry, the edited are designed to produce smiles with a feeling of fancy. In #1 I added some glow and warmer colors so hopefully you'd think about summer sunrises, with the "early birds" readying themselves for their day. And if you thought about the background itself as the sun, then your mind could go to a different planet as Dave Chinn's did :)

The second is not as strong a story, I see that now - and yes I've been influenced by the feedback given so far, lol. Perhaps I have too much in the frame (see crop below; I do love that one bird with the outstretched wing) or did not take the pp far enough to fanciful.

It can be a struggle for me to find a balance of right brain vs. left, both in shooting and editing. I prefer to not think too much and to let the feelings come naturally. I have never been, and most definitely will never be (at my age - ha!) a technique-first shooter.
Attachments
crop.jpg
crop.jpg (190.38 KiB) Viewed 384 times

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:59 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks for commenting, Steve! ...

After coming to this late I broke tradition and thought to reply before reading the others first so I wasn't surprised when I saw other people commenting on how it reminded them of sheet music and was happy to see you push it through. The link is wonderful too and one I hadn't seen before so it was an education of its own, thank you for that! As for the rest, you have an amazing ability to see beauty in the every day and I hope you continue to develop that, its by no right then that I suggest anything to improve your work, but since you asked, if I may speak to the second it's not a bad image, it's simply that there's no main character, nothing to rest your eye on and come back to, it's all one and a bit overwhelming. I think it's there, maybe a simple bit of lighting to make one stand out from the rest, or maybe I'm completely off and it stands as it is not attention needed. It is not for me to say what your eye sees and pray you keep these beautiful images going! S-

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 pm

St3v3M wrote:... its by no right then that I suggest anything to improve your work, but since you asked, if I may speak to the second it's not a bad image, it's simply that there's no main character, nothing to rest your eye on and come back to, it's all one and a bit overwhelming. I think it's there, maybe a simple bit of lighting to make one stand out from the rest, or maybe I'm completely off and it stands as it is not attention needed. It is not for me to say what your eye sees and pray you keep these beautiful images going! S-

Not to worry! I stopped thinking in terms of good and bad at least a year ago :D If I'm unsure about why I'm not happy with a photo, I love posting to see through others' eyes and to receive suggestions that help me see differently with my own eyes, and get me unstuck. If I am sure, at least at time of posting - that can change of course - then I'm always delighted when those who like say WHY, and those who dislike say WHY.

Those of us who've had the good fortune to be among thoughtful, talented peers as well as pro's, and to have formed more of a sense of what we are trying to accomplish personally, have learned to take in all feedback and to glean from it whatever is most applicable to our current location in the journey.

Ever grateful!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:...
Those of us who've had the good fortune to be among thoughtful, talented peers as well as pro's, and to have formed more of a sense of what we are trying to accomplish personally, have learned to take in all feedback and to glean from it whatever is most applicable to our current location in the journey.

Ever grateful!

To you as well! S-