"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Artistic Expression CritiqueLooking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Post by pop511 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm

" rearrange some of the birds to resemble the first line of the piano score "
Gotta have some fun with this
ed
Attachments
Birds on a wire3.jpg
Birds on a wire3.jpg (685.96 KiB) Viewed 328 times
ed davis

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:18 pm

I like these, that first one though -- you knocked it out of the ball park! It is awesome. Something about the warmth, lots to look at, my eye just keeps wanting to explore following the lines from here to there. It is a wall hanger!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:51 pm

pop511 wrote:" rearrange some of the birds to resemble the first line of the piano score "
Gotta have some fun with this
ed

Great fun! Thanks so much for your interest, Ed. Rborud's suggestion and your interpretation have opened a whole new world for me with this subject.

PietFrancke wrote:I like these, that first one though -- you knocked it out of the ball park! It is awesome. Something about the warmth, lots to look at, my eye just keeps wanting to explore following the lines from here to there. It is a wall hanger!
Piet, thank you! I'm very pleased you enjoyed. Indeed I might have to find a place on my wall :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:52 am

Thx Linda;
I know that each of us are serious, in our own way, to our personal disciplines and ideology, but I do like to go silly at times. :lol:
Pic was a quick cut and paste. I'm sure you can do better.
Kind Regards to all
ed
ed davis

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
davechinn wrote:Love both Linda, but the first one hold my attention more. The color tones are much deeper and richer for me. If the textured layer for your background is a simulation of the moon or sun, you have done a great job. It does appears to be multiple and gives me a feeling of being on another planet, like something out of Star Wars with multiple moons.
Dave

Love your Star Wars reference, Dave! Thanks so much for commenting. Below is the image used in the background on both (different orientations and stretches). I was trying to focus on some backlit raindrops on leaves and berries (sun came out when raining), the tree beside my balcony. As the camera struggled to focus, I caught this cool looking view so went to manual focus and took this shot for possible future use as texture!

Thank you Linda !!! An excellent idea that works very well with your image. It's a keeper for sure to be used again and again.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you Linda !!! An excellent idea that works very well with your image. It's a keeper for sure to be used again and again.
Dave

Thanks again, Dave. Minnie has mentioned having favorite texture files she uses often, and I can understand why. I used an out of focus photo of real storm clouds (also shot from my balcony, lol) in two pics. Once it was pointed out that I could change colors and so forth in pp, I realized how much more potential a single image has for composites or textures.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:36 pm

RBorud wrote:Linda
Another possibility, is to do some clever cloning and easure and rearrange some of the birds to resemble the first line of the piano score of Beethovens third symphony. It is quite effective hidden amongst the birds as a double entendre. Just a thought. RBorud
minniev wrote: That is an amazing idea. Some of us have always seen Linda's bird-and-hops pictures as music scores but never thought to plant real music in them. Even the idea of it gives me a bit of a thrill, thank you for offering a marvelously creative concept.

The second I saw them I saw musical notes on staffs and, if I played an instrument, I would want to play the score as written (probably very Arnold Schoenberg-y but playable, John-Cage-prepared-piano-ish-ly with maybe six fingers per hand :D ). I like both as presented, oddly each completely different somehow. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:The second I saw them I saw musical notes on staffs and, if I played an instrument, I would want to play the score as written (probably very Arnold Schoenberg-y but playable, John-Cage-prepared-piano-ish-ly with maybe six fingers per hand :D ). I like both as presented, oddly each completely different somehow. (OK)

Thank you, Chuck! Delighted you enjoyed and that you saw the musical reference. I didn't make the connection originally (way back when I first shared a close-up, which were fat doves), but people often have since - and I love that!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:44 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:The second I saw them I saw musical notes on staffs and, if I played an instrument, I would want to play the score as written (probably very Arnold Schoenberg-y but playable, John-Cage-prepared-piano-ish-ly with maybe six fingers per hand :D ). I like both as presented, oddly each completely different somehow. (OK)

Thank you, Chuck! Delighted you enjoyed and that you saw the musical reference. I didn't make the connection originally (way back when I first shared a close-up, which were fat doves), but people often have since - and I love that!

I knew I had seen it somewhere! Someone has actually made a composition from birds on a wire! And it's lovely! (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:33 pm

I held off commenting as I contemplated your images and wrestled with the literal part of myself. That technical photographer in me is screaming that bokeh like that, behind birds on wires, is impossible. The artistic side of me loves the composition, the use of colors and the really warm effect it gives to an otherwise cold image.

Ingestingly enough, this pulls up bits and pieces of the earlier conversations on "cheatting" and "truth and lying" in and through photography. Is placing an easily understood element, like the bokeh, in this image a form of cheating? Or is it lying to the viewer? Or is it "artistic license"?

Which now begs to question the artist's integrity when a comment such as was made about leaves come into inspection...

Hmm

:wink:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage