“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

― Artistic Expression CritiqueLooking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Looking for guidance, please respond even if you dislike :)

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:20 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:I like the whole ball of wax in number one...the color and pp work very well. I'm on the fence with #2 and keep finding myself wondering what a more traditional image might look like......hope that doesn't guide you too confusingly........
Thank you, Frank! I wonder if your wondering has to do with the appeal of the subject/composition, and perhaps it doesn't take fanciful far enough. Here is a more straight forward processing (and uncropped, or less cropped) for your comparison. If you are interested in doing some playful pp to it, I'd be quite happy to see :)

Linda, I have found these images beguiling for a really weird reason. I grew up in an apartment in Brooklyn; we had no washing machine or dryer, so my mother washed the clothes in the kitchen sink and hung them to dry on a stringed rack that was lowered from the ceiling. It hung over the stove and, after she had pinned the clothes on the lines, she would raise the rack and turn on the stove. She also used to light her cigarettes by bending down to one of the burners with the butt in her mouth. She had a perpetual fringe of crisped hair. We never had a fire that required the Fire Department. I think the knot ends hanging down in your photo were what triggered the memory. The rack had lots of them from frequent repairs. We have made some progress as a species, I guess. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, I have found these images beguiling for a really weird reason. I grew up in an apartment in Brooklyn; we had no washing machine or dryer, so my mother washed the clothes in the kitchen sink and hung them to dry on a stringed rack that was lowered from the ceiling. It hung over the stove and, after she had pinned the clothes on the lines, she would raise the rack and turn on the stove. She also used to light her cigarettes by bending down to one of the burners with the butt in her mouth. She had a perpetual fringe of crisped hair. We never had a fire that required the Fire Department. I think the knot ends hanging down in your photo were what triggered the memory. The rack had lots of them from frequent repairs. We have made some progress as a species, I guess. Thanks. Matt

The visceral connection between art and our memories fascinates me, sort of like eating comfort food on a cold night. Neat! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:35 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, I have found these images beguiling for a really weird reason. I grew up in an apartment in Brooklyn; we had no washing machine or dryer, so my mother washed the clothes in the kitchen sink and hung them to dry on a stringed rack that was lowered from the ceiling. It hung over the stove and, after she had pinned the clothes on the lines, she would raise the rack and turn on the stove. She also used to light her cigarettes by bending down to one of the burners with the butt in her mouth. She had a perpetual fringe of crisped hair. We never had a fire that required the Fire Department. I think the knot ends hanging down in your photo were what triggered the memory. The rack had lots of them from frequent repairs. We have made some progress as a species, I guess. Thanks. Matt

The visceral connection between art and our memories fascinates me, sort of like eating comfort food on a cold night. Neat! S-

Temps in the low 30s; so tonight it is creamed salmon and peas over rice. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Temps in the low 30s; so tonight it is creamed salmon and peas over rice. Matt

I love a good grilled cheese and tomato soup, but...back to the regularly scheduled program...! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Matt Quinn wrote: Linda, I have found these images beguiling for a really weird reason...
Matt, I'm almost positive your triggered memory is the most unique of any ever related to me about a photo of mine. I love it!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share a fascinating story.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote: Linda, I have found these images beguiling for a really weird reason...
Matt, I'm almost positive your triggered memory is the most unique of any ever related to me about a photo of mine. I love it!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share a fascinating story.

You're welcome. Matt
Matt Quinn

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi, Linda,
As one with a long interest in the realm of “impact” I have come to differentiating between “universal impact” and “personal impact”.

The former (universal) IMO tends to relatE to one or more of several crucial factors: composition, contrast, and commonly experienced empathetic feelings. The latter (personal) I see as related to specific realms of personal interest.

This image may have impact in both realms.

As a wildlife biologist I personally perceive the impact of this image related strongly to its excellent depiction of species-specific behavioral aspects of social/communal imperatives. Flocking behaviors, maintenance of “social distance”, and tolerance of abrogation of the “social distance” rules influenced by sex and maturity of nearby individuals are all evident in this image and are of impact and interest to one attuned to such things. To those not attuned to notice of such stuff it is merely “a quotidian bunch of birds of no particular impact”.

Some, however, if tending to feel more secure in the presence of others and less secure in solitude may be attracted by the universally appreciable “crowd effect” illustrated here.

And so, IMO, the concept of impact simply is not “simple”.

Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:54 pm

uuglypher wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm
Hi, Linda,
As one with a long interest in the realm of “impact” I have come to differentiating between “universal impact” and “personal impact”.

The former (universal) IMO tends to relatE to one or more of several crucial factors: composition, contrast, and commonly experienced empathetic feelings. The latter (personal) I see as related to specific realms of personal interest.

This image may have impact in both realms.

As a wildlife biologist I personally perceive the impact of this image related strongly to its excellent depiction of species-specific behavioral aspects of social/communal imperatives. Flocking behaviors, maintenance of “social distance”, and tolerance of abrogation of the “social distance” rules influenced by sex and maturity of nearby individuals are all evident in this image and are of impact and interest to one attuned to such things. To those not attuned to notice of such stuff it is merely “a quotidian bunch of birds of no particular impact”.

Some, however, if tending to feel more secure in the presence of others and less secure in solitude may be attracted by the universally appreciable “crowd effect” illustrated here.

And so, IMO, the concept of impact simply is not “simple”.

Dave
Dave, thank you so much for your unique viewpoint and instructive, interesting comments. Greatly appreciated!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt