“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

― Artistic Expression CritiqueFlight

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Flight

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I posted this bird a couple of days ago, this shot was taken seconds after the first, but I went down a different road processing. All comments and edits are welcome.
Attachments
flight (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:15 pm

minniev wrote:I posted this bird a couple of days ago, this shot was taken seconds after the first, but I went down a different road processing. All comments and edits are welcome.

Gorgeous. I gotta learn this stuff; I presume it's something in PS. I have taken several PS intro tutorials on Youtube and Lynda and Adobe and have experimented with a few of my own photos but the program is so complex and my retention so slim that the results are pathetic. But images like this and what others, especially Ernst, post give me incentive to continue. Another wall-hanger.Thanks.

BTW, I find the small item in the "mouth" of the alligator distracting. You deliberately left it in; can you say why?

Many thanks for all your support and encouragement, y'all. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm

minniev wrote:I posted this bird a couple of days ago, this shot was taken seconds after the first, but I went down a different road processing. All comments and edits are welcome.

Minnie, I thought it would help me to write explicitly what I like in this image: the textured, parchment background; the stunning gradations of tones in the bird; the detail in the legs and toes; the off-center vignette on the bird; the decisive moment of beginning flight; the head and beak peeking out past the wing; the wings at the top of the arc; the (imagined?) look over its right wing at you saying "You have seen enough; I must go now." Yes, all that and more. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Minnie, I thought it would help me to write explicitly what I like in this image: the textured, parchment background; the stunning gradations of tones in the bird; the detail in the legs and toes; the off-center vignette on the bird; the decisive moment of beginning flight; the head and beak peeking out past the wing; the wings at the top of the arc; the (imagined?) look over its right wing at you saying "You have seen enough; I must go now." Yes, all that and more. Thank you. Matt

Matt, thank you for the kind comments and the details you offered about what appeals to you, that helps me tremendously. The original image was less than satisfying because it was shot almost directly into the sun. That's what gave the great backlighting through his wings, but the rest of him was black, so the picture was just plain weird looking - a black bird with bright white wings and head partially hidden. Bracketing exposures is no help in action shots, so. I did various things to him in pseudo HDR to brighten him, which gave me a very artificial looking image. So, I turned to a textured approach that would let me keep the bird light, but subdue the false exposure into something "artistic".

Texture work is fun, and if folks are interested, we could do a share thread about it. I'd love to learn more from Ernst and rborud who share wonderful artwork using textures. I think Piet does some stuff like that, too, Linda as well. Maybe others!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Very, very striking, Minnie! I particularly love the slight pen & ink feel to the bird, delicately detailed in an obvious fantasy setting. Matt's mention of "decisive moment" is the very strong foundation for the exquisite interpretation shown here.

This image could be an example for your discussion topic on landscape ethics, wherein the edits are so fanciful we aren't likely to feel deceived on any level :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Stunningly presented minniev......

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:

Matt, thank you for the kind comments and the details you offered about what appeals to you, that helps me tremendously. The original image was less than satisfying because it was shot almost directly into the sun. That's what gave the great backlighting through his wings, but the rest of him was black, so the picture was just plain weird looking - a black bird with bright white wings and head partially hidden. Bracketing exposures is no help in action shots, so. I did various things to him in pseudo HDR to brighten him, which gave me a very artificial looking image. So, I turned to a textured approach that would let me keep the bird light, but subdue the false exposure into something "artistic".

Texture work is fun, and if folks are interested, we could do a share thread about it. I'd love to learn more from Ernst and rborud who share wonderful artwork using textures. I think Piet does some stuff like that, too, Linda as well. Maybe others!

A thread on texture would be grand; I could learn a lot, Minnie. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:33 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Very, very striking, Minnie! I particularly love the slight pen & ink feel to the bird, delicately detailed in an obvious fantasy setting. Matt's mention of "decisive moment" is the very strong foundation for the exquisite interpretation shown here.

This image could be an example for your discussion topic on landscape ethics, wherein the edits are so fanciful we aren't likely to feel deceived on any level :)

Thank you Linda. The image was very unattractive as a "realistic" photo, the bird was black and his wings were white because of shooting into the dawn light. Since the background as almost white, it lent itself to a fanciful rendition. Glad you liked it.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Stunningly presented minniev......

Thank you Frank!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:55 am

So simple yet so beautiful, this is a true testament to your artist's eye! This one is a wall hanger! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"