"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Artistic Expression CritiquePrairie Sentinals

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Prairie Sentinals

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:WOW what a picture! Just amazing artistry. Linda said "breathtaking and inspiring." Industrials is a whole genre, and an important one for its historical significance, but most of the time we see pretty straightforward takes. That's fine, I do them myself and I like them, but this is a whole 'nother art! Really, really very well done! :thumbup: :clap:

Thank you Charles

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I have long been a fan of your work - anything that you might share about your workflow would be most appreciated! Do you go B/W to establish tones and lines and then paint color?

Piet As I said to someone else here, and like an early 20th cent. photographer, Have a finished image in you mind eye before you press the shutter.
And in answer I commit the sin of not owning a single piece of adobe. I take the images in their color and alter that with all tools available, including layers, blends, clones, brushes, curses, and whatever I can think of keeping sight of my goal. Thanks for asking, RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:54 pm

davechinn wrote:A very fine piece of art that I can't find the words to describe at this time. Very impressive and look forward to seeing more.
Dave

Thanks Dave for your very nice comments RBorud

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Thx RBorud.
Went through all my brushes, but could not get the effect you obtained. So I'm going to assume the build up was not done that way.
I often do not have any clear idea in which direction I go when I do fantasy work, but it is only for my own pleasure anyway.
Please post more. I will look forward to them with anticipation.
I really do feel that we need another sub forum called, fantasy. Artistic expression is too wide a definition.
Have fun.
ed
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:29 pm

pop511 wrote:Thx RBorud.
Went through all my brushes, but could not get the effect you obtained. So I'm going to assume the build up was not done that way.
I often do not have any clear idea in which direction I go when I do fantasy work, but it is only for my own pleasure anyway.
Please post more. I will look forward to them with anticipation.
I really do feel that we need another sub forum called, fantasy. Artistic expression is too wide a definition.
Have fun.
ed

We can use artistic expression in any way and rborud's beautiful work is one way. It is a kind of work that appeals strongly to me, and I've tried to achieve it, but have not reached the level I've seen in his Prairie Sentinel series. I even took an online class about it (the only photo class i've ever paid for) and it helped, but I have a long way to go before I get to this point.

We have a Learn And Share activity thread going on now about close up photography. We could do one on textured work like this, if folks have an interest.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 pm

davechinn wrote:A very fine piece of art that I can't find the words to describe at this time. Very impressive and look forward to seeing more.
Dave

Thank you Dave for you very kind thoughts RBorud

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:WOW what a picture! Just amazing artistry. Linda said "breathtaking and inspiring." Industrials is a whole genre, and an important one for its historical significance, but most of the time we see pretty straightforward takes. That's fine, I do them myself and I like them, but this is a whole 'nother art! Really, really very well done! :thumbup: :clap:

Thank you Charles for your thoughts, so nice. RBorud I hope you get this as I am still having troubles with replying, I never know if it has gone out or flew the coop.

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I have long been a fan of your work - anything that you might share about your workflow would be most appreciated! Do you go B/W to establish tones and lines and then paint color?

Piet believe it or not I have tried to send this twice and I think it flew the coop both times. But here goes again.
I work very simply. I don't have anything adobe, and work with much older editing software and several weird plugins no longer made. The main thing is to know it well, I feel swamped by constant updating and the accordant steep learning curve which I found a bit obstructive. I keep many images of all sorts of shapes, textures, ephemera, and some of which friends have suggested I delete. But they have proved useful.via layering, blending, cloning, and like, and at times a voodoo curse or two. But I thank you for your very kind thoughts. As to your question of B/W to tone then color I would probably get totally lost. Thanks again RBorud

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:59 pm

RBorud wrote:Hi All I have been asked to enter an image of a project I did awhile back of the elevators of the prairie area of Minnesota. I did about 70 of them.
I shot them tried to make them into artistic statements. I showed 3 at the UHH. I was bought by a grain company which pleased me.
I rarely show them as I really don't own them any more. But minneve asked if I would show something here. Please enjoy. RBorud

Brigadoon in the background? Magical. Mystical. Monumental. Marvelous, simply marvelous. Well worth the time and effort. Do you have a website? Thank you. Made my Sunday. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

RBorud
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby RBorud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Thank you Matt for your enthusiastic and wonderful comments. alas I do not have a website, the need for one has never occurred to me.

Return to “― Artistic Expression Critique”