"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Artistic Expression CritiqueThis Old House

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

This Old House

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 pm

I have a few I'll post from this old abandoned farm in New York. This one is developed fancifully because I wanted a different sky than I had, but I didn't want to replace it. I wanted to know how my light-shaping adventure comes across.
Attachments
old house (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Looks completely natural to me! Enhances the interest of the scene, doesn't overpower. As so often with your images, a feast for the eyes with colors and textures and interesting details. I'd be tempted to get rid of the top metal cross bars on the fence pieces to the right of the brown post. Since the fence to the left doesn't have, and just kind of disappears, it'd be interesting to see what removing this line of metal would accomplish. Or do you want for the feeling of "Stop! Do not pass this spot?"

Also, there is a rather bright, blue-green bit (rolled garden hose??) on the right side of house. Are you keeping for the interest?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Looks completely natural to me! Enhances the interest of the scene, doesn't overpower. As so often with your images, a feast for the eyes with colors and textures and interesting details. I'd be tempted to get rid of the top metal cross bars on the fence pieces to the right of the brown post. Since the fence to the left doesn't have, and just kind of disappears, it'd be interesting to see what removing this line of metal would accomplish. Or do you want for the feeling of "Stop! Do not pass this spot?"

Also, there is a rather bright, blue-green bit (rolled garden hose??) on the right side of house. Are you keeping for the interest?

Thank you Linda, glad you like it. This one has a layer of a PS paint filter partially masked into the dull gray sky. As for the fence, I left it in by choice but I knew what it was, and it may not be apparent to a viewer which is good to know. The part on the right is a metal gate much like the road-gates we have on farms in the South, and I liked it because it is both locked and broken apart, thus useless to keep any one out. It was part of the story to me.

The hose is a problem, I will try desaturating it before I try removing it, but it does need some attention (or needs to attract less attention, as it may be).

I related to it because it is about the same vintage as the tumble-down house I'm rescuing, and made me glad mine is no longer this precariously situated.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:38 pm

I do like the fence to the left of the brown post. Your description of both "locked and broken apart, so useless" gives me a great sense of why to keep it as-is (I was suggesting just make it less distinctive by removing the pipes that go horizontally along the top of the gate)

By light of new day (well by the clouds and drizzle that are defining the next two weeks) and your explanation, I get it now. Thanks!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:01 pm

I like it very much! I actually did not notice the hose, but desaturating it should work. If you want to remove it and haven't yet tried the patch tool I recommend it. I've had pretty good luck with it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:06 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I do like the fence to the left of the brown post. Your description of both "locked and broken apart, so useless" gives me a great sense of why to keep it as-is (I was suggesting just make it less distinctive by removing the pipes that go horizontally along the top of the gate)

By light of new day (well by the clouds and drizzle that are defining the next two weeks) and your explanation, I get it now. Thanks!

I will try burning down the brightest piping across the top of the gate and see what that does. But the decorative curlicues are part of the gate story, so I don't want to go too far with them. (They'd also be a pain to get rid of).

Thanks for the rethink!!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I like it very much! I actually did not notice the hose, but desaturating it should work. If you want to remove it and haven't yet tried the patch tool I recommend it. I've had pretty good luck with it.

Thanks Chuck. Glad you like it.

I am not averse to removing it, but like lots of flotsam and jetsam around old houses, it is part of what's there so I'll just try to subdue it. The removal tools are so good in PS, with so many options. I have had good luck with the patch, too. Sometimes the clone tool makes me use a different vocabulary than usual, it seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by rmalarz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 am

Minnie, this one looks very nice and natural.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 am

rmalarz wrote:Minnie, this one looks very nice and natural.
--Bob

Thanks Bob,it was my intent to make it look natural though the route I took to get there was anything but.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:01 am

This Old House is haunting and beautiful at the same time. What's really interesting though is the paint-like feel. It's almost there and almost not and I love it for it. If I were to guess I'd say you worked this in layers and opacity, but it's all magic to me. I really like this and hope you make more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"