"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Artistic Expression CritiqueJust A Family

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Just A Family

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Because of how I took this, it had all the wrong settings but it was a Moment and I did what I could, so processed it adventurously and put it in a section where it felt comfortable.

I had come up from a lower level of this mountain pull off in Gatineau National Park just outside Ottawa and come upon this family, he on his prayer rug, the wife and two kids dashing about, and all of them enthralled with the fall leaves. I took the picture quickly, with settings left from what I was shooting before, then proceeded to introduce myself, confess, and ask if it was OK to keep the picture. They were very friendly, and posed for several shots but none were spontaneous like this one. They were Saudi, living temporarily in Canada for him to work on his doctorate, and they visit national parks all over Canada. He said one of his greatest regrets was that the climate was now such that he could not take his children to see the beautiful national parks of the US. I spent about an hour with them, hearing their stories, sharing mine, and left with a sense of shared humanity and mutual joy in the beauty of nature.

The photo was very noisy from underexposure and fog (which looks like noise even though it's not) so I had to go way too far in dealing with that. My goal was simply to capture an artistic sense of who they were, and their joy.

As always, suggestions, comments and edits are welcome.
Attachments
a-family.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Keep the picture as the springboard to the memory. That is far better than any image.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 pm

The softness is appropriate for the fog and the gentle family moments. I like it a lot, Minnie. Even a crop seems to hold up IMO if one wanted more intimacy. It would be interesting to know how it looks printed at 8x10 or so. I can't imagine too many folks thinking oh, it's obvious she was just trying to cover up the noise :D
Attachments
crop a-family.jpg
crop a-family.jpg (379.77 KiB) Viewed 531 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Duck wrote:Keep the picture as the springboard to the memory. That is far better than any image.

Thanks Duck. It was a great interchange.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The softness is appropriate for the fog and the gentle family moments. I like it a lot, Minnie. Even a crop seems to hold up IMO if one wanted more intimacy. It would be interesting to know how it looks printed at 8x10 or so. I can't imagine too many folks thinking oh, it's obvious she was just trying to cover up the noise :D

Thanks for the comments Linda. I really like that crop, which brings them closer, even if they are a bit fuzzy. They were plenty sharp enough but the noise reduction was pretty heavy.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 am

...a sense of shared humanity and mutual joy in the beauty of nature.
The saddest thing to me is that they don't feel they can visit the U.S. to see our national parks.

I think the picture is perfectly lovely as is! It tells the story exactly as a picture should, not needing a thousand words. I really cannot see where you blew anything. It works! (OK)

In passing, however, being an inveterate bone lazy cheater type guy, I usually have a go-to default preset I try to always keep my camera in just in case I see Bigfoot or Godzilla. It's usually on aperture priority preset at f/5.0 or 5.6 (a sweet spot for my lens with adequate DOF much of the time) and "floating" (auto) ISO and WB. If I've remembered to reset to my default it's theoretically a few seconds for my camera (not all cameras) to be ready to shoot, and with those presets I hope I'm likely to get a usable exposure. Before I'm crushed. Or something.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
...a sense of shared humanity and mutual joy in the beauty of nature.
The saddest thing to me is that they don't feel they can visit the U.S. to see our national parks.

I think the picture is perfectly lovely as is! It tells the story exactly as a picture should, not needing a thousand words. I really cannot see where you blew anything. It works! (OK)

In passing, however, being an inveterate bone lazy cheater type guy, I usually have a go-to default preset I try to always keep my camera in just in case I see Bigfoot or Godzilla. It's usually on aperture priority preset at f/5.0 or 5.6 (a sweet spot for my lens with adequate DOF much of the time) and "floating" (auto) ISO and WB. If I've remembered to reset to my default it's theoretically a few seconds for my camera (not all cameras) to be ready to shoot, and with those presets I hope I'm likely to get a usable exposure. Before I'm crushed. Or something.

Thanks Chuck, I liked the photo except for the lack of detail, and I'm glad the spirit of it showed through.

I often put my camera back on full auto between shootings to avoid this but I failed to do so this time. I fail to remember stuff often these days :D

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:10 am

Charles Haacker wrote:... The saddest thing to me is that they don't feel they can visit the U.S. to see our national parks. ...

It saddens me as well. There's so much beauty here, more than enough for everyone. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:14 am

I see the fog and the tree as a backdrop for the actors on stage. Muted but still telling they give support to the people we want to see most.

I love this for the family interaction, but mostly that it shows the beauty of being human! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I like the soft colors and the fog and the happiness expressed and your back story too!