• Administrator
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

― Artistic Expression CritiqueThe EGG --- white on white

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: The EGG --- white on white

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm

John N wrote:We did something similar at the photo club the other week when we broached the subject of abstract. Only our 'eggs' were polystyrene that a member had bought for a specific commercial shoot. Been looking around for a white (or just off-white) egg for a few weeks now. Everybody here thinks brown eggs are the way to go - I'm getting some strange looks in the supermarket these days.

(Polystyrene 'eggs' lack that surface texture that will make the image that much more viewable).

Y'know, John, I don't think it absolutely has to be an egg. We figured out that the purpose of the exercise was mainly to discover how to light a round object so it looked round in 2 dimensions. I've seen it done with tennis balls, which are great because of the texture that pops when they are back or 3/4 back lit. The guy in the video is doing what our instructors hoped we would do on our own: move a single light around the thing and watch what it did. They threw in the white-on-white wrinkle as an additional challenge because it is somewhat harder, but meh... (?) With a white egg on a white background if it's front-lit it just kinda disappears. You could do the same thing with a brown egg on a brown backdrop. :D

(By the way, I'm told that there is no, zero nutritional difference between brown and white eggs. Brown feather chickens lay brown eggs. Brown eggs cost more than white eggs simply because they cost more to produce. Brown chickens are larger than their white cousins, so they eat more food, which in turn costs farmers more. Nutritionally eggs is eggs.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|